Default Child Support After Child Moves Out and After He Turns 18

My question involves child support in the State of: Louisiana

I was divorced in Mississippi. My ex and my son moved to Louisiana. I briefly moved there to get closer and while I was there, she took me to court to raise child support. I also agreed to allow Louisiana have jurisdiction.

The original Mississippi order states that I shall pay support to the mother until my son is 21 or as long as he is in college, whichever is greater. I believe that Louisiana law says that child support ends at 18.

To add another twist. My son graduates high school next month and he is moving out and getting his own apartment with a friend. He turns 18 in September.

So, my questions are...

1. Will I have to pay child support to the mother until he is 21?
    2. Does my son moving out effect this or do I still have to pay support to a mother that is no longer living with the child?

Thanks!

Default Re: Child Support After Child Moves Out and After He Turns 18

I have no access to your court orders, and they're what govern your case. If the Lousiana order completely replaces the Mississippi order, then that's what happened. If it kept the Mississippi order intact save for the amount of support, then that's what happened. Take a look at the court orders and let us know what they provide.

1. Sponsored Links