Default Shared Meter on Joint Property

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Colorado

Can I force the joint tenant to pay for half of the installation of a new electric meter when a shared meter currently exists? We have been in an ongoing court battle for years over electric bills and it has even led to jail time for contempt of court. I can't afford a new meter on my own can I make them pay half?

To install a new meter it will run about $4000.00

Default Re: Shared Meter on Joint Property

not unless the meter is at the sole request of the tenant. If it is court ordered or simply because that is what you are supposed to do, then the cost is yours.

haven't checked but in some states, it is illegal to bill the tenant for power unless you have separate metering. If that is the case, it would definitely be on you no matter who wanted it.

There are meters available that would allow you to determine usage of one of the units. That could then be subtracted from the power company meter to determine each individual units share of the bill. They would be far less than $4000. That is, as long as the two units have separate main electrical panels. If you do not have separate main panels for each unit, you have no choice but to split the panels, and the metering.

The property is owned jointly 50 - 50. How could I find out if it's legal to bill or be billed for electric in my state?? Thanks for the advice

Quote Quoting circa
    View Post
    The property is owned jointly 50 - 50. How could I find out if it's legal to bill or be billed for electric in my state?? Thanks for the advice
    Sorry I found the answer I was looking for and in Colorado there are no laws requiring a meter...

I'm sorry. I read your situation really really wrong. I was thinking landlord tenant. I guess not enough coffee this morning.

maybe you could explain the situation a bit more. Are there individual units here where separate metering is even possible (like maybe a duplex or such)? What is the big problem here?

what was the contempt of court issue about?

1. Sponsored Links