Default Arrest and Detention While on Probation

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California, Placer County

I am on informal probabtion in Placer County for a vandalism charge stemming from a fight. My probation includes the stipulation that I not use or possess alcohol or drugs. I was recently arrested and detained (Placer Co also) for a disturbing the peace/under influence and taken to jail. I was not charged and given a form stating that this was only a detention and not an arrest.

Should I be worried about a warrant on a VOP? Should I notify the probation department? I served my original sentence under a house arrest agreement, so I don't think any time was waived on that one that I would be required to serve.

Any suggestions on what I should do or watch out for? Besides not go out drinking (obv).

Default Re: Arrest/Detention While on Probabtion--Placer County, California

Yes, they can violate you for this detention. But, since you are on informal probation, unless they have an officer actively searching through flagged arrests and/or detentions, they might never find out about it unless you get arrested again.

You might get lucky and they might not do anything about it ... this time. Clearly, the lesson has not sunk in, so if they DO find out about this police contact, it is likely that someone will at least consider a revocation of your probation.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: Arrest/Detention While on Probabtion--Placer County, California

What does you Conditions of Release say about reporting contacts with law enforcement? Most Conditions state that you must inform your probation officer immediately about any contacts with law enforcement. Failure to do that can result in a revocation. Also, in many pretrial and probation offices, they check their list of probationers against the booking sheets first thing every day.

Default Re: Arrest and Detention While on Probation

No mention of needing to report any involvement with law enforcement. Just double checked the probation forms.

If they did 'flag' me how soon before a warrant would be issued?

Quote Quoting jet25
    View Post
    No mention of needing to report any involvement with law enforcement. Just double checked the probation forms.

If they did 'flag' me how soon before a warrant would be issued?
    Informal probation rarely has such conditions of reporting.

If you were discovered a warrant (if one was sought) could come down in as little as a couple of days or as long as a month or more. Chances are that no warrant will issue so long as you were not prosecuted. Though it IS possible.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

In many jurisdictions, unless something comes to their attention beforehand, a hearing is scheduled at the end of the period of informal probation and the probation office does a record check on the probationer shortly before that hearing. So it's possible for the issue of a violation, even over conduct that occurred months earlier, to be raised with the court at the end of somebody's informal probation.

So should I do anything, or just keep quiet and not get in trouble anymore? Is there a way to know if a warrant has been issued for me?

Is there a way to monitor for any warrants, or will one just arrive by mail? This is Placer County.

You can check the court periodically, but chances are you will not know about any warrant until the cops knock at your door. Since Placer County does not appear to permit you to bring up the actual case online, you would just have to trust to personal visits or phone calls.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

1. Sponsored Links