Default Felon in Possession of a Firearm in Kansas

My question involves criminal law for the state of:Kansas

I am wondering if anyone knows how the federal law works in Kansas regarding a felon in possession of a firearm?
    My boyfriend was already a felon due to charges in 07, and was recently arrested in posssesion of a firearm, (not the smartest move on his part, i know) but either way I'm trying to figure out how this works.
    Today he went to court for sentencing,(just the regular courthouse not federal) and was sentenced to 18mos. probation, which he will start after finishing out time for an unrelated charge (he has 7 months left to serve on that ), so my question is, does this automatically become a federal charge?? And does this mean that for the next 7mos. plus 18 months he's on probation, that he will be subject to be indicted at any time until he's completely finished with everything???
    I'm just uncertain of wether we should expect him to be coming home after his 7 months on the other charge, and come home to do probation, or will the federal court pick this case up before he gets a chance to come home????

Sorry this is so long, I have tried to look everywhere online and just cannot figure this out, can anyone help me??
    Thank you.

Default Re: Felon in Possession of a Firearm in Kansas

State charges do not automatically become federal charges. When a matter is resolved in a state court, although it's sometimes possible for the same conduct to result in federal charges, that usually doesn't happen.

1. Sponsored Links