Default Medical Malpractice Resulting in Wrongful Death

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: Illinois. My brother went into the hospital 4 years ago in a sickle cell crisis. From the moment we walked into the emergency room he was totally neglected. He waited 4 hours before he saw a doctor and even then they sent a med student. They finally sent a nurse 2 hours later to start an IV and it was incorrect. She opened the fluids and it did not flow and when I asked why she said sometimes it takes a little time. Well it never happened even though she came and tried to inject pain medication into that same line that left a very nasty bruise on his arm. They asked for a urine sample where my brother was complaining of severe back and chest pain. The urine was dark and they still were not giving him any fluids. Finally after about6 hours they had a ekg done where the response from the doctor was we won't worry now but you may have heart problems in the future. After about 12 hours he was sent to a room where they finally got a working iv line in and gave him a pca pump for pain although he was severly short of breath. I couldn't go to the room with him but when I called him on the phone later that evening he could barely catch his breath to have a conversation. I told him to put his light on to call the nurse. He said he did but no one was answering. He said he was in severe pain and couldn't breath. I assured him I would be there first thing in the morning. I called the nurse station and I was told his nurse was on her way to his room. That was the last conversation I had with my brother. The next morning we received a call saying he fell and he was in ICU. He died. It has taken me all this time to deal with one the loss of my only brother who was only 34 and to deal with not wanting to believe that this field that I work in and the people who do the same job that I do everyday screwed a persons life unto his death. But it happened and I just kept playing over and over in my head looking for an excuse for them but I can't find any. What can I do at this point?

Default Re: Are There Limitations if It Lead to Death

I'm sorry for your loss but the statute of limitations has long since expired in Illinois. It is two years from the time of discovery and based on your post you knew, or suspected, the treatment he recieved was not satisfactory and may have contributed to his death.

Will it be possible when his only son turns 18 to decide if he wants to pursue the death of his father? He is 11 now.

Quote Quoting jessycar
    View Post
    Will it be possible when his only son turns 18 to decide if he wants to pursue the death of his father? He is 11 now.

No - the SOL has expired, period.

I'm sorry.

1. Sponsored Links