Default One Way Street Violation California from Parking Lot

Hello Everyone,

So today I made the mistake of exiting a parking lot of my school through the entrance of the parking lot.

The Officer wrote that I made a driving down a one way street violation.

However I believe I was on school property when I made the infraction by using a one way entrance to exit to public road. I thus believe that the entrance is deemed private property and the drive way into this entrance is not considered a street to deemed one way.

However a San Jose CA police men wrote ticked me for a California traffic violation of driving on a one way street the wrong direction.

If you look at the photo I exited the entrance and made a right hand turn in to the public street into a legal lane.

Bottom line: Does the police officer have the authority to give me a California Traffic Violation Ticket for exiting a driveway "road" private property that is designed and signs are posted for entrance only. This I would be a private matter where I would have to deal with the school directly and would not go on my DMV record.

I do understand that it is not safe to drive out the entrance however I was lost.

I also understand that I will not get off free but I was wondering if this is legal and if their is any way I can fight it

Default Re: One Way Street Violation California from Parking Lot

If we're talking about one of the public schools (like SJSU), the parking area may indeed meet the CVC definition of a highway.
    Publicly maintained, publicly accessible for vehicular traffic.

1. Sponsored Links