Default Roommate Left on Vacation and Never Came Back

My question involves a roommate in the State of: Georgia
    I live in an apartment with me and two other roommates and about half way through our 1 year lease one of my roommates went on vacation to visit his girlfriend in Australia for our christmas break from college. A day before classes started he contacted us and said that he would not be coming back until after our lease was up but told us he would continue to pay the bills. When he did not come back from Australia to go to school his parents more or less cut him off, they were paying all of his bills. Now he tells us that he can't afford to help pay all of the bills. He still pays the rent but refuses to pay any of the utility bills. Since he did not tell us until the day before classes started that he would not be coming back we have not been able to find someone to take his room. He and his parents told us that they knew people or would help find someone to take his place but have yet to give us any names numbers or any type of information on people that could take his room. All three of our names are on the lease which includes rent + water, sewage and trash. The internet/tv bill is under my name and the power bill is under his moms name. Basically me and my other roommate feel that since he gave us no notice and is not helping find someone to take his place that he should continue to help pay the utilities until or even if we can find another roommate. We were wondering if there is a way to hold his responsible for the bills he agreed to split 3 ways or if we are out of luck. By the time our lease is up it will have cost us about an extra $1000 to cover his share of the bills. Any advice would be very helpful. Also just to give a time line... we moved into our apartment in july 2010, he left for Australia in early December, told us he wasnt coming back in but would pay the bills in early January 2011 and our lease ends in July 2011. Thanks

Default Re: Roommate Left on Vacation and Never Came Back

He still pays the rent but refuses to pay any of the utility bills.
    Since he isn't there, he can make a reasonable argument for not paying utilities - he's not using any.

Should he return to the US at some point, you can take him to small claims and try to make a case for him owing utilities, but I would not expect you to prevail. If he remains in Oz, you're out of luck.

1. Sponsored Links