Default Sublet in Brooklyn, Unable to Obtain Security Deposit

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: NY

I was in a legal sublet in the apartment of a couple living in Brooklyn. I moved out early at the suggestion of the woman (they needed room for a baby on the way), and I left the room and bathroom clean upon moveout.

The problems: I signed a sublease which gave the couple all power in terms of the security deposit. Among the reasons the sublease states for withholding the $450 deposit are leaving a window open, leaving lights on, and getting mail delivered to the address. Unfortunately I did not read the sublease as thoroughly as I should have, and did some verson of these three things (window open one hour, left fan on, had a package delivered).

The fall out came from my discovery of the woman entering my room on a daily basis while I was at work without notifying me. I asked her to please not do so, which angered her and thus led to her withholding the entire security deposit. Until this incident, I was the ideal tenant - hardly ever home and quietly kept to my room when I was there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Sublet in Brooklyn, Unable to Obtain Security Deposit

If you believe you are owed a full or partial refund of your security deposit, and your former landlord won't refund that money, you can sue in small claims court.

1. Sponsored Links