Default Can an Employer Fire and Employee for Being Pregnant

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Mississippi

A few years ago, my girlfriend was working at a retail store. She was training to become an assistant mananger for one of the departments. The manager found out that she was pregnant and fired her. Is that considered discrimination? Why would the employer fire and employee for being pregnant?

Default Re: Can an Employer Fire and Employee for Being Pregnant

It very well may have been, we don't have enough details to say. However, it doesn't matter now, as she has waited WAY too long to file a complaint. She would have had to do so within 180 days of the action.

That's what she told me. She told her co-worker and the word about her being pregnant got to the manager. The manager fired her that day or the next day she worked. What is the reasoning behind this. It happened to another friend of mine, too. She got fired for being pregnant, too. Why?

How do we know why? We're not the ones doing it.

It is illegal under Federal law and under the law of most states. But as Patty says, your friend has waited too long to take action.

I know we're not the ones doing it. I thought maybe you knew the reason behind it from previous stories. I told her to call BBB. I don't know if she did or not. I'll will remember this for future reference. Thanks.

The Better Business Bureau is a consumer agency. They have nothing to do with this employment issues. She would be wasting her time calling them.

The appropriate resource, should this happen again, would be the EEOC. However, as indicated, it's too late now.

Oh. Ok. I KNOW ITS TOO LATE. I was just curious of why employers would fire employees for being pregnant. I wanted an answer. AS INDICATED, I KNOW ITS TOO LATE. I will use it in the future. Thanks for the reference.

Employers, smart ones at least, do not fire pregnant employees. As pointed out, they would be in violation of Federal and possibly State law doing so. In the old days prior to this protection, such firings occurred because employers thought the employee would miss a lot of work or their work quality would diminish (trips to bathroom, getting sick, etc) because of the pregnancy. They also knew that the employee might need time off, possibly more than the employer could tolerate, after the pregnancy. So to avoid having to find a temp or ask others to pick up any perceived slack, they would just terminate the employee and get a permanent replacement.

I will say I have seen pregnant women work circles around non-pregnant, and even male, employees. Accommodation might be necessary but modern workplaces have learned to adapt and overcome any issues that arise.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    employers, smart ones at least, do not fire pregnant employees. As pointed out, they would be in violation of federal and possibly state law doing so. In the old days prior to this protection, such firings occurred because employers thought the employee would miss a lot of work or their work quality would diminish (trips to bathroom, getting sick, etc) because of the pregnancy. They also knew that the employee might need time off, possibly more than the employer could tolerate, after the pregnancy. So to avoid having to find a temp or ask others to pick up any perceived slack, they would just terminate the employee and get a permanent replacement.

I will say i have seen pregnant women work circles around non-pregnant, and even male, employees. Accommodation might be necessary but modern workplaces have learned to adapt and overcome any issues that arise.
    thank you! A detailed answer! Very much appreciated!

1. Sponsored Links