Default Motor Vehicle Accident Without Insurance

I live in Indiana.
    Saturday July 1st, 06, on my way to work, a vehicle pulled out in front of me resulting in my accident. I was driving down the highway, cruising at 62 mph when this red f-150 comes out of the median 2 ft. in front of me. I swerve and end up hitting a tree on the side of the road head on...while ford driver keeps going. The car is totaled. The police take my insurance info and I leave with minimal injuries and head to the ER. I later find out that I do not in fact have current insurance two days later. You see my mother and I had an agreement that as long as I was in college, she would pay for my car insurance. It turns out that she has been having financial problems and car insurance fell to the bottom of the priority list and was terminated. She did not inform me of this because she knew I would worry and I am stressed out enough as it is with work and school. Anyway, she contacted to BMV to find out what the penalty is since it is illegal to drive uninsured. We thought a pretty heft ticket would be issued..but they said my license can be suspended for 3 months! She called the STATE BMV in indy and tried to explain that it was her fault it was uninsured and that I had no idea. They said it didn't matter..i was driving therefore I will lose my license. Is there something that can be done that we are not thinking of? I cannot lose my license because I work 30 mins from my home and school is 50 mins away. If i cant work i cant go to school and it all snowballs downhill. I feel feel trapped and lost because I could not have avoided this and now I am being punished. HELP!!!!

Default Re: MVA w/o Insurance..BIG TROUBLE AHEAD.

Quote Quoting nikig86
    I live in Indiana.
    Saturday July 1st, 06, on my way to work, a vehicle pulled out in front of me resulting in my accident. I was driving down the highway, cruising at 62 mph when this red f-150 comes out of the median 2 ft. in front of me. I swerve and end up hitting a tree on the side of the road head on...while ford driver keeps going. The car is totaled. The police take my insurance info and I leave with minimal injuries and head to the ER. I later find out that I do not in fact have current insurance two days later. You see my mother and I had an agreement that as long as I was in college, she would pay for my car insurance. It turns out that she has been having financial problems and car insurance fell to the bottom of the priority list and was terminated. She did not inform me of this because she knew I would worry and I am stressed out enough as it is with work and school. Anyway, she contacted to BMV to find out what the penalty is since it is illegal to drive uninsured. We thought a pretty heft ticket would be issued..but they said my license can be suspended for 3 months! She called the STATE BMV in indy and tried to explain that it was her fault it was uninsured and that I had no idea. They said it didn't matter..i was driving therefore I will lose my license. Is there something that can be done that we are not thinking of? I cannot lose my license because I work 30 mins from my home and school is 50 mins away. If i cant work i cant go to school and it all snowballs downhill. I feel feel trapped and lost because I could not have avoided this and now I am being punished. HELP!!!!

My response:

You see, in California for example, the courts and the Department of Motor Vehicles, are separate entities. The court handles the fine and other punishment for the violation of law, while the DMV handles the insurance situation as it pertains to the privilege of driving.

Basically, and not knowing how it works in Indiana, you should ask the BMV if you can obtain a "Limited License" for work and school upon proof of insurance. If you're able to obtain a Limited License for work and school, and you're stopped for another violation while "off the beaten track," woe unto you. You can, and most probably will, be arrested.

The worst the BMV can say is, "No." So, give them a call.

IAAL

1. Sponsored Links