Unhappy Can My Wife Stay in the U.S

Good Morning,
    I've been dating my wife for almost a year before we got married (November 2010). When she came for her 3rd visit (6 October 2010), I asked her to marry me. We got married 10 days later. Yesterday, we went to an immigration lawyer who stated since we got married within 30 days give the impression that we had it planned before she arrived. He said that there is a 98% chance she will be denied. Staying in the US is not an option for us when applying for her green card. He suggested that my wife returns to Hungary and start the immigration process there which means we will be apart for a good 9 - 10 months. Her tourist visa expires on 5 April 2011. We went ahead an submitted an I-539 to extend her status. We have to decide soon if my wife needs to leave the US. Please help!

Morgan

Default Re: Can My Wife Stay in the U.S

Quote Quoting Morgan1870
    View Post
    Good Morning,
    I've been dating my wife for almost a year before we got married (November 2010). When she came for her 3rd visit (6 October 2010), I asked her to marry me. We got married 10 days later. Yesterday, we went to an immigration lawyer who stated since we got married within 30 days give the impression that we had it planned before she arrived. He said that there is a 98% chance she will be denied. Staying in the US is not an option for us when applying for her green card. He suggested that my wife returns to Hungary and start the immigration process there which means we will be apart for a good 9 - 10 months. Her tourist visa expires on 5 April 2011. We went ahead an submitted an I-539 to extend her status. We have to decide soon if my wife needs to leave the US. Please help!

Morgan

Unfortunately I believe the attorney was correct.

By all means consult a different attorney...but I agree that USCIS would likely view this as a planned marriage, and since she came in on a tourist visa it can be seen as immigration fraud.

The 2% chance of approval would depend greatly on how much/how good is the evidence you have that the the marriage was NOT planned prior to her arrival.

How was the ceremony done, civil or religous? Can you get affidavits from the officials involved stating exactly when you made the arrangments within that short 10 day period? Did you buy a ring/wedding dress...etc? If so, can you produce the receipt and show the date purchased in that time frame. If you can produce a lot of really solid evidence that the entire idea of getting married was done in that short time frame, you might stand a chance, but it will still come down to one persons perception.

So basically, my wife needs to leave on Tuesday even if I get all the paper work in by 5 April?

1. Sponsored Links