Default SSI Payment Reduced by In-Kind Support

Why is my supplemental security income payment still being reduced by one-third for In-Kind support after providing the Social Security Administration copies of all household expenses that prove my SSI payment is sufficent enough to cover my pro-rata share? My only source of income is SSI and when reduced by one-third I must depended on loans to pay my share. What more do I have to provide to prove I am not receiving In-kind support from my father whom I reside with?

Thanks

Default Re: SSI Payment Reduced by In-Kind Support

Did you call & ask the Social Security office why your SSI check is being reduced when you are not receiving
    any type of support from your father - that you are paying your share of household expenses?

So who are you borrowing money from to pay your share? Are you borrowing cash or taking advances on your credit card? And how do you plan to pay them back? It has to meet the definition of a valid loan. You are in a bit of a circular argument here. You need more income to be able to pay your share without borrowing but the only way you can get more money from SSI is to pay your share. SSI is not increased based on alleged future contributions and your loan may not be considered valid if they only way you can pay it back is to get more SSI.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835160
    https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835480
    https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835482

Thank you both for your responses.

My father has visited the SSA office in several unsuccessful attempts in the past five months to get this issue resolved. He filed a fair hearing request on my behalf and hopefully it resolves this issue in our favor in May. My dad thinks its discrimination from the SSA office.

My SSI check is $381 per month, my share of $700 a month rent is $350 which includes utilities. I sleep in the livingroom of a one bedrm apt so my share of rent includes utilities. Utility bill is never more than $50 per month. That leaves not much for my share of groceries or incidentals. Right now, my father pays for all the groceries and my mother is paying my medical and orthodontist costs. Every month my dad makes me sign an updated spreadsheet of money he paid for my groceries and incidental. My mom pays for my orthodontist and some medical expenses and she makes me sign a separate spreadsheet. I will pay them back from my SSI check when its increased and when I work during the summer months only.

Thank you,

The federal benefit rate is $674. If you apply the one-third reduction, the SSI check would be $449.33. So you must have a 10% overpayment recovery going on also for a previous overpayment, which may have been caused by previous unreported summer jobs. When you get this next summer job, SSI will go down again, by about 1/2 of your gross wages.

I gave you the links of the policies that apply in this case. Your father cannot file a request for hearing on your behalf unless he is your representative payee. Whether or not you have a valid loan of support and maintenance needs to be determined. It may or may not go in your favor. Can't tell.

I was under 18yrs old when the overpayment resulted. When my dad first signed me up for benefits, he was not turning in his check stubs unless requested to do so by SSA which resulted in the overpayment.
    My mother signs me up for a summer program that pays no more than $599 for 11 weeks of summer work. I turn 19 this year and won't be eligible for the city summer work program next year. Thank you for the links. Me and my dad is doing a lot of research.

1. Sponsored Links