Default California License Suspension from FTA

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: California

So in November 2010 I was ticketed for failing to change my vehicle's address with the DMV within 10 days of moving. This was a $25 fix-it ticket. I extended the court date online, than forgot and failed to appear (certainly learned my lesson...). So recently I got a letter in the mail, informing me I now owe the city of LA, $871. I just want to see a judge who'd I feel sort this situation out. I called the court, they told me to call the collection agency, and they will schedule my courtdate. They said they could schedule it... in 4-6 months, during which time my license will be suspended. I contacted a lawyer, who told me for $950, he'll competely resolve the situation and get the DMV to put a stay on my license tell the court date. At which point he'd resolve everything. Seems a little silly to pay more than the ticket, even tho I understand the FTA and collection agency would be off my record.

My basic question is... How do I personally(or can I?) get the DMV to put a stay on my license tell my court date?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: California License Suspension from FTA

You're pretty cavalier about a driver's license suspension - is it that you have sold the car and don't drive any more? Do you have any conception of how much a driver's license suspension is apt to increase your insurance costs? If your lawyer can find a way to avoid a suspension, and you actually do own a car and want to drive it, and the $950 includes the fine to L.A., it sounds like a bargain.

Default Re: California License Suspension from FTA

Quote Quoting drpepperfan
    View Post
    My basic question is... How do I personally(or can I?) get the DMV to put a stay on my license tell my court date?
    I'm not sure how you got through to an L.A. court clerk over the phone, but assuming this is the first and only time you failed to appear on this particular citation, you should be able to go to court, request a court date, pay a "$10 abstract fee" (a notice is then electronically sent to the DMV to remove the license hold)... Then you'll have to go to the DMV, pay a "$55 reissue fee", take/pass the written test and get your license reinstated.

1. Sponsored Links