Default Blocking Driveway in Traffic

I know this is more of a courtesy than a law question. Let me paint the picture for you:

I always do my best never to block intersections, driveways, etc. So, I stopped at a green light because there was no room for me on the other side and I would be blocking a busy driveway if I moved forward. The driver behind me is honking away at me to move up because he has to turn into that driveway. Now if i had moved up i would be completely blocking the driveway, so i stayed put where I was, and he was far from happy. My gut tells me i did the right thing. I would appreciate some feedback on this situation. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Blocking Driveway in Traffic

If you stop at a green light because you can't proceed completely through the intersection, then yes you did the right thing. The green light only indicates that your lane has the right of way travel, it does not grant you the right to block or impede traffic through the intersection.

You did the right thing...but you could have moved forward, and then reversed back (I think). Especially if there was no traffic behind him. If there was, then probably not as they'd pull behind you and pin you in the intersection.

Well, I'm going to disagree. If I understand you, the driveway you would have blocked is NOT the intersection containing the light. Right? If so, one of my biggest peeves is that people are only courteous to those IN FRONT of them, totally disregarding those behind. You don't want to block the driveway where someone MIGHT come in from the side, but you think it's OK to block the guy who IS behind you?

And, this is, after all, a "courtesy" thing. I understand you believed you were being "courteous" by leaving the drive open, but, think about it -- you were trying to be "courteous" to someone who was NOT EVEN THERE, while being "discourteous" to someone who WAS there, albeit behind you. While I, too, try to leave openings for driveways and side streets for "potential" traffic, I won't hold up "real" traffic, drivers who could proceed if I just move ahead a bit. Yes, possibly blocking someone who MIGHT show up.

But, that's just me.

Barry
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

I'm with St. Barry on this one...

Understand that anyone coming out of the driveway has a legal obligation to yield the right of way to those vehicle on the roadway. Conversely, the vehicles on the roadway have no legal obligation to yield to vehicles coming out of the driveway (not unless it is a fire station).

As for the "courtesy" matter, and since you have no legal obligation to yield to a vehicle that may happen to later be coming out of the driveway, your courtesy should be towards the vehicle that is behind you!

1. Sponsored Links