Default Detached Retinas Following a Glaucoma Test

Hi, my father went to the eye doctors 2 weeks ago to have a regular check up, the doctor said that she was gonna practice a glaucoma test, we believe that as a result of this test 2 days later my father started being seeing black spots in one eye that kept getting bigger and which provoked him from seeing anything. I'll be honest my father has never had a problem with his vision before, he reads a lot and if he would have had a problem he would of complained because he couldn't have read, so our family feels strong that this problem was caused by the glaucoma test. My father went yesterday to the same eye clinic to complain about his situation, when the same doctor checked up on him again, her response was outrageous. Her answer to his problem was "I don't know what's your problem, go to the emergency room immediatly." The worse was yet to come, throughout that day his second eyer began to trouble him, this time this eye was worse then the other. When he got to the emergency room the doctors told him that something recent had caused the first eye's retina to come loose, if your retina comes completely loose you will become blind. As a result of the first one becoming loose, the second also became loose but the second was worse. The problem now is that to fix both retinas a really expensive lazer surgery is required, the second problem is that the in that hospital that will do the surgery, they dont accept his insurance type. We feel strongly that this problem was due to that glaucoma test he got, and what makes us feel even stronger about it is the reaction that we got from the original eye doctor. My question is can anyone tell me if this can be considered a medical malpractice?

Default Re: Can someone tell me if this is a medical malpractice?

Quote Quoting dro89
    Hi, my father went to the eye doctors 2 weeks ago to have a regular check up, the doctor said that she was gonna practice a glaucoma test, we believe that as a result of this test 2 days later my father started being seeing black spots in one eye that kept getting bigger and which provoked him from seeing anything. I'll be honest my father has never had a problem with his vision before, he reads a lot and if he would have had a problem he would of complained because he couldn't have read, so our family feels strong that this problem was caused by the glaucoma test. My father went yesterday to the same eye clinic to complain about his situation, when the same doctor checked up on him again, her response was outrageous. Her answer to his problem was "I don't know what's your problem, go to the emergency room immediatly." The worse was yet to come, throughout that day his second eyer began to trouble him, this time this eye was worse then the other. When he got to the emergency room the doctors told him that something recent had caused the first eye's retina to come loose, if your retina comes completely loose you will become blind. As a result of the first one becoming loose, the second also became loose but the second was worse. The problem now is that to fix both retinas a really expensive lazer surgery is required, the second problem is that the in that hospital that will do the surgery, they dont accept his insurance type. We feel strongly that this problem was due to that glaucoma test he got, and what makes us feel even stronger about it is the reaction that we got from the original eye doctor. My question is can anyone tell me if this can be considered a medical malpractice?

My response:

What you and your family "feel" is completely irrelevant. What is relevant, however, is whether a medical provider has given you a professional opinion that states there is a nexus between the glaucoma tests and your father's retinal separation.

See a medical malpractice attorney in your location.

IAAL

Default Re: Detached Retinas Following a Glaucoma Test

I would tend to think that a doctor at an eye clinic should be able to identify a detached retina, but if she could not or did not know what was causing the eye problems I can understand why she would want your father to immediately go to the emergency room for diagnosis and possible treatment.

Do you know which test was administered for glaucoma? Have any of the doctors you have seen described the test that was administered as a possible cause of retina detachment?

ok i understand, well the response from the new doctors is today, so what your sayin is that if he says that the problem is linked to the glaucoma test that means its relevant correct?

Quote Quoting dro89
    ok i understand, well the response from the new doctors is today, so what your sayin is that if he says that the problem is linked to the glaucoma test that means its relevant correct?
    My response:

Yes. There must be a "connection" between the procedure, and the resulting effect. Also, and depending upon what your father signed with the eye clinic, he may have been informed that this could be a potential risk and result of the glaucoma tests. You never stated the type or extent of those tests.

So, have your father consult with a medical malpractice attorney in his area.

IAAL

yes, thank you very much you guys are great!!

Quote Quoting dro89
    yes, thank you very much you guys are great!!

My response:

Thank you. And, like Avis Rent-A-Car, "we try harder."

IAAL

Ultimately to succeed in a malpractice suit you would need medical testimony to connect the alleged act of malpractice with the injury suffered. At a minimum, that means demonstrating a causal connection between the test and the injury. You don't necessarily need to establish it through the doctors your father sees today, and at this point your father should probably be more focused on getting the best possible treatment over making his new doctors think they may be witnesses in a possible malpractice case. If he consults a malpractice lawyer, the lawyer will be able to have the facts reviewed by a medical expert.

There are many things which might cause detached retinas, a glaucoma test is not a frequent cause, so you would have to have an expert witness state that the glaucoma test caused the detached retina. What is your father's age? does he have any history of head injury or any activities that jar the head? These will be the questions that he will be asked over and over again if there is any litigation.

A detached retina can be caused by a injury to the eye or face, tumors, or disease. Some diseases that can cause a detached retina are diabetes and sickle cell. Patients with myopia are more likely to have peripheral retinal problems which can lead to retinal detachment, the most important of these is lattice degeneration, which is more common the greater the myopia. Person with pigment dispersion syndrome and pigmentary glaucoma are more likely to have lattice degeneration. The reason for this remains unknown, but they’re maybe a genetic factor.

An expert will have to rule out all other know causes of retinal detachment before they can blame it on a comon glaucoma test that would also be included in any comprehesive eye examination.

1. Sponsored Links