Default California Driver's License Suspension and Impoundment

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: California

I just got back from a 3 week trip out of the country to find that my insurance was canceled due to nonpayment (more on that later). I had it reinstated yesterday and was told by Geico that everything should be fine and that the SR-22 (requirement due to a wet reckless from nearly 3 years ago) has been sent to the DMV.

This morning I was taking my vehicle to get a smog check as part of registration renewal requirement and was pulled over at a speedtrap for going 42 in a 30 while passing another vehicle. Now back to the insurance, the credit card that automatically pays the insurance was canceled because of fraudulent activity in the Mediterranean hence cancellation of insurance due to nonpayment.

So the DMV suspended my drivers license and when I was pulled over I received a fix-it ticket for my headlights (infraction), speed warning (warning only), driving on suspended license (infraction not misdemeanor, he said it could have been a misdemeanor), and my vehicle was impounded (he said he had to).

So I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction to fix these issues...

It's going to cost $500 just to get my vehicle.

Thanks,

Luckless CA driver

Default Re: California Driver's License Suspension and Impoundment

You may want to check on the cost to get your vehicle, or whether you can get it out at all. CA law says it can be seized for up to 30 days if you were operatin gon a suspended license.

Tell me why you believe the DMV suspended your license? They do not suspend your license for nonpayment of insurance. There's more to it than that.

Or, was your license merely expired?

What was the code section on the citation?
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

To my knowledge my license was valid and I merely had an insurance lapse due to the nonpayment. I thought everything was fine as of yesterday, but now speaking with Geico they say that it looks like my license was suspended due to the SR-22 (which I think is apparent as my vehicle was impounded and I have received citations).

After going through all the mail that has accumulated since we've been gone I've found a letter from DMV stating license suspension because my insurance is not valid.

Citations: 12500 (a), TW-22350, and 24411

The officer cited me for an infraction and not a misdemeanor, and he also gave me a 1 day impoundment instead of 30 days.

I guess the first place to start is to contact DMV once they open Monday AM.

Thanks again

Quote Quoting ksurfier
    View Post
    After going through all the mail that has accumulated since we've been gone I've found a letter from DMV stating license suspension because my insurance is not valid.
    I don't see that they can suspend you for lapsed insurance. Had you been cited for this before?

Does the DMV letter cite a relevant Vehicle Code section authorizing the suspension?

Citations: 12500 (a), TW-22350, and 24411
    CVC 12500(a) is for being unlicensed, not suspended. That means that either the officer was being hugely generous to you, or, that your license was merely expired and NOT suspended.

The officer cited me for an infraction and not a misdemeanor, and he also gave me a 1 day impoundment instead of 30 days.
    Again, either overly generous, or, your license was not truly suspended.

I guess the first place to start is to contact DMV once they open Monday AM.
    Probably.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links