My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California
I had an agreement with the landlord to do some repairs, including very simple repairs of broken
electrical sockets, switches, and wall plates. However, after I uncovered two switch boxes and
saw jumbles of wires, many bare, and could not figure out what circuits the non-working switches
controlled, I decided an electrician was needed. I left the wall plates off pending professional
repair and explained to the landlord that an electrician was needed. The landlord did nothing. I
eventually complained to code enforcement and even then the landlord did nothing except get
upset. Now, nearly three months after being notified by code enforcement the landlord will send
an electrician claiming that ďthis needs to be done due to possible fire hazard to protect you as
well since you pulled the wires out of the wall and do not have renters insurance this will protect
you from liability.Ē Am I responsible or the landlord? Does renterís insurance really have anything
to do? I donít see any fire hazard from the wall plates being taken off and the switches
slightly pulled from the boxes, nothing flammable is anywhere near the boxes, and no problem has
actually happened due to my actions. It sounds like hype to me, to try to shift the landlordís
underlying blame for failure to fix the electrical problem for so long. In fact, the landlord initially
accused me of ďfakingĒ the problem by simply removing the wall plates in order to make a false
report to code enforcement, and, of course, still did not send an electrician. If the landlord had
immediately fixed the problem when I brought it up, things would be different.