Default Caught Shoplifting and Signed Trespassing Document, Will It Go on My Record

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

I was caught shoplifting in Urban Outfitters, I can assure you it was my first and last time, but I need the advice of your brilliant minds to help me through this.

I was issued a civil demand and they had me sign one form: a trespassing agreement stating I could not enter their stores for 3 years. On the agreement, it cited one or two penal codes- I asked what they were and they told me it was for shoplifting- I'm still confused as to what the second penal code listed was for. I asked for a copy of the trespassing document I had just signed and they refused to give me a copy. I have three questions:

Q1: I fully intend to pay the civil demand when I receive it, but will this incident go on any of my records? For example, if I applied for a job and had a background check on me- are they able to pull up this information? And if so, how likely is it that the background check will include this? Also, if it does go on some sort of record, what will the offense be considered as?

Q2: I'm still not sure what other penal code was listed on the trespassing document I signed: can this document ONLY be used for its stated purpose OR can it be used to implicate me, used in a case against me, or can the information be used against me for any other purpose beside trespassing?

Q3: Is it legal for them to deny me a copy of the trespassing document that I signed?

I appreciate your help, thanks for reading!

Default Re: Shoplifting- Issued Civil Demand and Signed Trespassing Doc, Will It Go on My Rec

A civil demand that's paid before it goes to court pretty much is invisible. Some stores will report you to the private National Retail Theft Database which may make it hard to get a job in retail in the future.

The tresspass is just a notice that an area that's normally open to the public is not to you. The document isn't going to much make any difference to a criminal matter other than the trespass that may occur if you show up in the banned stores again.

They are not obliged to give you a copy. You KNOW you're not supposed to be there. The paper is proof for them to have you arrested if you show up again.

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting and Signed Trespassing Document, Will It Go on My Record

So if I understand you correctly, the civil demand, once paid, will not effect my background checks for jobs other than retail? Also, once I pay the civil demand, is the retailer no longer able to file charges against me? Or do they still have a year to do so?

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting and Signed Trespassing Document, Will It Go on My Record

That's not what I said. The paying of the civil demand does NOT keep them from filing charges.

thanks for the clarification

1. Sponsored Links