Default Can My Impounded Vehicle Be Released to the Joint Owner of Vehicle

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: california
    i was pulled over for driving on a suspended license vc 14601.1(a) and unregistered and my truck was impounded with a 30 day hold. Im not sure if it's mandatory or held until I took care of my license. My question is , the truck is in my fathers name and in my name. If all the registration fees are paid and current with proof of insurance can the truck be released to him or does my license have to be valid in order for either one of us to pick up the vehicle. LA County.

Default Re: Can My Impounded Vehicle Be Released to the Joint Owner of Vehicle

Quote Quoting dganier
    View Post
    My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: california
    i was pulled over for driving on a suspended license vc 14601.1(a) and unregistered and my truck was impounded with a 30 day hold. Im not sure if it's mandatory or held until I took care of my license.
    The agency would be required to release the 30 day impound (held per 14602.6) if you obtained your valid driver's license and the registration was paid up

My question is , the truck is in my fathers name and in my name. If all the registration fees are paid and current with proof of insurance can the truck be released to him or does my license have to be valid in order for either one of us to pick up the vehicle. LA County.
    You and your father can ask this of the agency's hearing officer. You have ten days to request a post-storage hearing, and they have 48 hours to schedule it. There are circumstances that can permit the agency to release under this circumstance, but none that requires it.

If the co-owner knew that the driver's license was suspended then no release is likely. If not, and if the vehicle is the other party's sole form of transport, then it is likely to be released.

What I would do would be to have the co-owner go to the DMV and remove the driver from the registration and/or title, and then have that owner sign a document stating that should the vehicle ever be found being driven by an unlicensed driver, the agency could seize the vehicle as their own. (There is a document for this provided by the DMV)

The easiest way would be to get that valid license.

1. Sponsored Links