I am a US citizen and currently petitioning for my husband. He entered with F-1 status, which is currently expired. Now that I'm trying to file my taxes this year, I realize that I must file as married, either filing separately or jointly. He was issued a # at the school he was attending, but that number is 'invalid' when I have tried to use it as his SS# while e-filing. He has no income to report, but I am forced to add his information if I file this year, which I must. Do we have to apply for an ITIN for him in order for me to file this year? Does he meet 'nonresident alien' status?