Default No Tresspassing Signs

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Arizona

I have a residential property in downtown phoenix. One of my neighbors built a 6' - 7' high block wall/fence between our properties (likely the side facing me is on his property by an inch or so) and he has glued 'No Tresspassing' signs along the wall that is facing MY property. These signs are clearly visable from my windows. He refuses to take them down. He likes to sue people. Is there anything I can do? Can he do what he wants to the block wall as long as he doesn't come on my property? He uses a ladder to hang over the wall.

Thanks very much.

Default Re: No Tresspassing Signs

As far as I know it's his right to erect no trespassing signs.

If you haven't spoken to him already, maybe approach him and ask why he has been posting the signs. Just because he "likes to sue people" doesn't mean there isn't a good reason for him to post his property.

I feel like we're not hearing the whole story here; ie there was some sort of event that prompted this man to build a 7' high wall and post his land.

Quote Quoting Repairmanjack
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: Arizona

I have a residential property in downtown phoenix. One of my neighbors built a 6' - 7' high block wall/fence between our properties (likely the side facing me is on his property by an inch or so) and he has glued 'No Tresspassing' signs along the wall that is facing MY property. These signs are clearly visable from my windows. He refuses to take them down. He likes to sue people. Is there anything I can do? Can he do what he wants to the block wall as long as he doesn't come on my property? He uses a ladder to hang over the wall.

Thanks very much.
    Yes, there is something you can do.

You can erect your own wall, an inch into your property facing his, and your wall would obscure all his trespassing signs, which would all be in the space between the walls. Then, he can't come over and paste signs on YOUR FENCE. You might also check the wall height, and local codes, as in most jurisdictions, anything over 6 ft requires a variance, which is NOT automatically granted. In a town where I had a rental, it's six ft in the back yard, and no more than 4 ft. in the front.

In fact, I know someone who got into a fence dispute with a neighbor, the neighbor called in code enforcement, and the 6 ft fence had to be chopped down to 4 ft.

Quote Quoting Newtons_Apple
    View Post
    As far as I know it's his right to erect no trespassing signs.

If you haven't spoken to him already, maybe approach him and ask why he has been posting the signs. Just because he "likes to sue people" doesn't mean there isn't a good reason for him to post his property.

I feel like we're not hearing the whole story here; ie there was some sort of event that prompted this man to build a 7' high wall and post his land.
    There is always more to the story, but I'm not sure that it matters to the question. He has been a problem in the neighborhood for some time and I'm not inclined to relate personal information about him.

The issue is simply - can he post these signs on 'my' side of his wall. My garage faces into his back yard - I would not think I could crawl on the roof and paste signage facing into his back yard.

Thanks.

Quote Quoting SChinFChin
    View Post
    Yes, there is something you can do.

You can erect your own wall, an inch into your property facing his, and your wall would obscure all his trespassing signs, which would all be in the space between the walls. Then, he can't come over and paste signs on YOUR FENCE. You might also check the wall height, and local codes, as in most jurisdictions, anything over 6 ft requires a variance, which is NOT automatically granted. In a town where I had a rental, it's six ft in the back yard, and no more than 4 ft. in the front.

In fact, I know someone who got into a fence dispute with a neighbor, the neighbor called in code enforcement, and the 6 ft fence had to be chopped down to 4 ft.
    Yes, that was what I was thinking I may need to do. I'm pretty sure his wall is within limits as I have seen other walls in the area are the same height. I'm just thinking there could be a code against posting signs that point directly into a neighbors yard. I could hang from the roof and post a sign on the side of my garage which is a few inches from his back yard, but I would never think of doing such a thing.

Thanks!!

If it were me I think that I would take a slightly different approach than building my own fence. No need to go to that expense.

I would start with as many container plants (something that will grow in Phoenix, such Bird of Paradise) as there are No Trespassing signs and just place them to block the signs from view. It will always be easier for you to rearrange the containers than it will be for the neighbor to move the signs.

Good Luck!

1. Sponsored Links