Default Company Dissolving and Employer Has Offered Me Contract Work Until Closure

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Texas

The company that I've worked for 15 years is dissolving. Iím being laid off and will be applying for unemployment. ‎However, there is much work to do winding down operations and my employer will be hiring temp workers to assist with ‎this transition. If I wish, I can be hired as a temp or go ahead and be laid off in 2 daysÖitís my decision. ‎

My concern is regarding unemployment benefits. While I can certainly use the temp work, I donít want to jeopardize my ‎benefits down the road. So should I file now after being laid off (in 2 days) or file after all temp work is completed? And ‎most importantly, the temp work will be less money per hour than my current wage, so would this change my pay rate ‎with unemployment benefits?‎

Thanks in advance for any advice!‎

Default Re: Company Dissolving and Employer Has Offered Me Contract Work Until Closure

What's the point of filing for unemployment if you won't qualify due to either working a temporary job, or due to your having turned down the opportunity to work the temporary job? Am I missing something in your question?

Depending upon the magnitude of the pay reduction you may be entitled to a partial benefit if you take the temporary job.

Default Re: Company Dissolving and Employer Has Offered Me Contract Work Until Closure

What is the difference in pay between your regular position and this "temp" position? Would this still be as an employee (i.e., taxes witheld, etc.)? I'm going somewhere here.

FYI the rate of your unemployment benefits is determined by the average of your wages during the base period, and in most if not all states the base period does not include the CURRENT quarter. So no, the temp job would have minimal, if any, affect on the rate of a claim. If a second claim is applied for when the first one expires, THAT'S when the lower rate would affect it.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    FYI the rate of your unemployment benefits is determined by the average of your wages during the base period, and in most if not all states the base period does not include the CURRENT quarter. So no, the temp job would have minimal, if any, affect on the rate of a claim. If a second claim is applied for when the first one expires, THAT'S when the lower rate would affect it.
    Which was my destination.

Ooh, we ARE good. Your post wasn't even there when I responded.

1. Sponsored Links