Default How to Appeal the Denial of Unemployment Insurance

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California (CA)

Hi there, here is my story:
    I was working for my employer for about 3 years and was fired upon return from holiday break in January (they were disappointed with my performance). Filled out my necessary paperwork, had the phone interview, was approved for UI and have received a few checks, but was just informed my former employer has appealed my UI decision. Our hearing is in two weeks.

With my recent unemployment, I made a career change -- the chosen field is more of an IC situation (consultant-esque), although there are full time positions available. That said, I have had a few small jobs in this field since my unemployment, but have reported every amount earned on my CC Forms, and continue to look for a full time position in this field.
    In the letter my former employer sent to the appeals board, they said my claim wasn't eligible because I'd been working in this field. The position I've taken isn't full or part time, I've worked maybe 8 days total in the last 2 months.

Should I be worried about any of this? Is there anything I can do to prepare? Basically I'm just trying to figure out the best way to back my case for the appeal hearing. I feel I've done everything correctly, but you never really know I guess.

Default Re: How to Appeal the Denial of Unemployment Insurance

Can you better explain your employer's objection? Is it that you've declined work in your historic field, or aren't looking for jobs in that field in lieu of trying to enter into a new career field?

Default Re: How to Appeal the Denial of Unemployment Insurance

Hi!
    Thanks for your response.
    The letter that they wrote into the appeals board stated "she is working as a _______ which negates her claim against us." I haven't declined any work, and have been looking for work in my past field as well as the field I want to move into. Yes, the small random jobs I've taken have been in the field I want to move into, but should that make a difference? I know that the company isn't doing so well financially, I'm almost positive this is the only reason they are raising a stink.

1. Sponsored Links