Default Should the Seller Let the Buyer Choose the Closing Agent for a Real Estate Sale

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Tennessee
    I'm selling my mother's property and I have a buyer and a signed contract. I am my mother's power of attorney or attorney-in-fact. The buyer's father is a real estate attorney in another county of Tennessee and he wants to handle the closing proceedings for both the buyer and myself (seller). The property is not in the county he practices in, but he is licensed in the state of Tennessee. I've already got a trusted title company to handle my side of the closing proceedings. However, the buyer is saying they can save me money and insists I use the buyer's father for the closing proceedings. What should I do? Thanks!

Default Re: Real Estate Closing Question from Seller

Bar admission is a statewide thing. If he's used to doing closings at all, there should not be much of a problem (unless he's incompetent). There's no practical way to have "two sides" to a closing. There's going to be one trust account, one HUD-1, and payins and payouts from all the parties involved.

1. Sponsored Links