Default 24 Year Old Hold on High School Transcript

My question involves collection action in the State of: Ohio

This is a bit embarrasing but it involves my graduated 24 years ago with approx. $500 owed to the school for a balance remaining on a school trip. Unfortunately I forgot about it when I filed Chapter 7 in six years ago. Now I am enrolling in college and walked into the transcript hold placed on the account. I'm already at poverty level income and this debt is well over to what I understand the Ohio statute of limitations on suing for the debt is. This is not a student loan. I just can't believe that the school would not have gotten some tax benefit for the bad debt and I simply can't pay this item in any way. Any advice out here on how to proceed?

Default Re: 24 Year Old Hold on High School Transcript

Ask the school about the possibility of applying for a hardship waiver. (Do note that not every district offers such. The district my children attend does, the one I graduated from does not.)

Other than that, the school is legally permitted to withhold your transcript until you clear your financial obligation to them.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post

Other than that, the school is legally permitted to withhold your transcript until you clear your financial obligation to them.
    and that is regardless of whether they could still sue you or not due to the statutes of limitations. They do not have to treat you like you paid even if they cannot make you pay anymore.

I believe you can make a strong argument that a demand to pay a discharged debt before a transcript will be released would constitute collection activity, and thus be in violation of the order of discharge. The wrinkle here is that the creditor was not informed of the bankruptcy action.

If we're talking about a zero assets Chapter 7, even if a debtor is omitted from the list submitted to the court the discharge should extend to a dischargeable debt owed to that debtor. If you have documented such a discharge to a creditor and they won't recognize the discharge you can discuss with your bankruptcy lawyer whether to formally amend the order or to petition to have the creditor held in contempt. (You can do that yourself, if you can figure out how - I suspect the lawyer fee would be more than the $500 claimed.) The school may attempt to argue that the fees aren't dischargeable; that may turn on when in 2005 you filed your bankruptcy.

1. Sponsored Links