Default 16 Year Old is in South Carolina, Staying With Grandma, Grandma Kicked Her Out

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: ohio & south carolina. my 16 yr old stepdaughter went to stay with her grandma in sc, she got enrolled in online schooling, has missed 35 days. idk if she has failed again because of days absent, grandma not making sure she goes online. also grandma kicked her out, idk where my stepdaughter is the grandma wont call or text me or my husband who has custody. we are scared something is gonna happen to my stepdaughter. she is w a 22&1/2 yr old man grandma was allowing it b4 she turned 16 in jan. i report to dss, in sc they do nothing. i try to file runaway report in ohio, they say it a custody issue, idk what to do. any ideas? we are thinking of trying to emancipate her so we arent liable for any trouble she may get herself in. we are just lost, scared & feel helpless, no one cares but me & her dad. her "mother" is an addict who doesnt want any part of it, & grandma in sc says she is done, so she kicked her out, i guess my stepdaughter goes 2 grandma's every once in awhile to take stuff but noone is taking care of my stepchild & we are 13 hrs away, dont know where she is. i would appreciate any help, my husband is custodial parent scared

Default Re: 16 Year Old Child is in Sc Staying W Grandma, Grandma Kicked Her Out

Quote Quoting conceredstepmom
    View Post
    My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: ohio & south carolina. my 16 yr old stepdaughter went to stay with her grandma in sc
    Under what circumstances? WHY was she there? Did she run away and get there on her own? Did her father send her? Why was she NOT living with the custodial parent?

she got enrolled in online schooling, has missed 35 days. idk if she has failed again because of days absent, grandma not making sure she goes online.
    Why online school? (Which is only a good idea for students with EXCEPTIONAL maturity, self-discipline, and time management skills, not for kids who are having issues and dating 22/23 year olds.)

she is w a 22&1/2 yr old man grandma was allowing it b4 she turned 16 in jan.
    When did dad find this out?

i try to file runaway report in ohio, they say it a custody issue,
    The child was staying in SC with parental permission. That means that it's SC's issue and OH has nothing to do with it. DSS doesn't do runaway reports, the police do. If grandma won't get off her keester to file one with local authorities in SC, then dad need to get on it.

we are thinking of trying to emancipate her so we arent liable for any trouble she may get herself in.
    Won't happen. Emancipation isn't a way for parents to cut ties from problematic children, it's a way for minors who have an exceptional track record of maturity, academics, and financial self support to enjoy enhanced abilities like the ability to sign a lease or open a bank account. If dad is worried about what trouble she may get in, he needs to keep TIGHTER reigns on her, not let her live in another state.

i guess my stepdaughter goes 2 grandma's every once in awhile
    Then THAT is why DSS and probably the police aren't considering her a runaway - because apparantly grandma is happy to get rid of her once in a while, allowing extended "slumber parties". When grandma became the child's caregiver, she also became the person authorities look to in order to determine if something is wrong. If grandma, with whom she's been living and who has first hand information on the situation because she's actually THERE in SC, says "she's fine", then that's what they'll operate on unless there is some evidence of foul play or she's otherwise endangered (ie needs meds that she doesn't have, etc.).

If she's not returning on a regular schedule, and if grandma doesn't know or won't share her whereabouts, and if police don't consider her a runaway due to sporadic contact, then dad's only realistic option is to get himself to SC and pounce on her and take her butt back home and implement some "shock and awe".

1. Sponsored Links