Default California DUI and Breath Test Refusal

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

I got pulled over the other day in Los Angeles CA and received a DUI. I have a perfect driving record so I was freaking out and I refused both the breathalyzer and chemical test. I really regret it now because the punishment is so much greater. I also have a year old battery charge on my record that I am currently on probation for. I have contacted the DMV for a hearing about my license. I currently am un-employed and I really don't have any money to spend on a lawyer. I am just not sure if a lawyer will be able to change this situation at all. I really regret not taking the testís, I was hoping I could plead my case alone for the fact that I was confused and did not really know the consequence of refusal. I would just like it if the court/DMV would reduce my charge to the same as if I took the test and got a .08 or higher. I really was not drunk when I got pulled over. I knew I had a drink about an hour earlier and I was afraid that it would show up. I believe I passed the field sobriety test with flying colors but I don't think that matters.

So my questions are

Do you only think a lawyer would be able to get this charge reduced, if at all?

Will my battery charge be a problem? (I already finished my court appointed crap and I was just waiting out the two years probation).

Have any of you lawyers ever seen a case like this and what happened?

thanks in advance for your help

Default Re: California DUI and Breath Test Refusal

Can't speak to your DUI situation but you may have a problem with the previous charge. If you are probation, and one of the conditions was either to refrain from alcohol or not get arrested again, you are in violation. That means they can revoke you, when and if they find out, and possibly put you in jail.

Seek a local lawyer. Yesterday.

1. Sponsored Links