Default Shoplifting in New Jersey

I was caught in NJ, for $19, macy's and was asked pay fine and I paid right there and then. i was taken by cops, photographed, fingerprinted. those were the most painful hours of my life. I have never done this and will never ever do it again. I am very,very shameful of this.
    I have court date of 7/25. but my concern is, I am permanent resident and made plans to go out of country in July for 1 month. this was planner long ago.
    1. is it a good thing to leave the country by postpoing the date?
    2. will i have issues reentering. if I postpone my date, then no records and no convictions, I assume. so I should not have issues?
    3. or should I advance the date, and know of the outcome and let the judge know about my trave plans? when I asked the court secretary, she said, I can leave the country.
    but I was not sure.
    3. or should i cancel my plans. please please help me.

thanks

Default Re: Shoplifting in New Jersey

Quote Quoting thisisbad
    1. is it a good thing to leave the country by postpoing the date?
    You don't want to miss the date, so if you're going to be out of the country you can inquire with the court about adjourning it. If you can show them prepaid airline tickets, booked before the court date was sent, it's very likely they'll grant an adjournment.

Quote Quoting thisisbad
    2. will i have issues reentering. if I postpone my date, then no records and no convictions, I assume. so I should not have issues?
    If you have only been charged, and no other formal proceedings have followed, there shouldn't be a problem at the border.

Quote Quoting thisisbad
    3. or should I advance the date ... or cancel my plans.
    I would suggest pushing the date back, and consulting a criminal defense lawyer who is familiar with immigration issues about a possible resolution. Your ideal solution would allow you to avoid a conviction, and also allow you to avoid allocution (admitting facts on the record sufficient to form a basis of the offense charged). Whether or not that's going to be possible? I don't know, but a local criminal defense lawyer should (or should be able to find out).

Quote Quoting humble
    sent you a pm
    Whats pm? and where was it sent?

private message... i sent it to you when you log yourself in youll see it...any way its basically almost the same as what mr knowitall said... find yourself a good attorney that will help you get a deal that eventually wont give you a conviction.goodluck

thanks a lot! I guess, I can get away without conviction! But I am planning to not travel, and stay put, until this settles.

I got my date changed to Aug 1st and cancelled my vacation plans.
    this stinks, but there's no choice.
    Aaron, I was reading about the immigration impact, I do not see anything in the ICE site or any other law enforcement site about deportation or inadmissibility.

is it safe to travel, in case there's an emergency and I need to be out of the country?

I am still not sure of the outcome, but this site gave me solace.

1. Sponsored Links