Default Buying Land That Isn't for Sale

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Oregon

There is a large paper mill in town, which I have found through property records owns something like 50+ small individual residential tax lots around their mill, connected to the same deed as their main 150 acre property. I cannot figure out why the mill even owns these properties, several have old houses on them that are just abandoned and falling down. The property is all abandoned and growing weeds.

I am extremely interested in purchasing one of those parcels they have in this area, there are many I would like. County records show the mill is paying a few thousand dollars a year give or take for each of these lots in property taxes just to rot. It's not investment type land, the paper mill next door kind of devalues it, my interest in the property is a long story...

Anyway, I need to set up a meeting with somebody from the mill and discuss if they might be interested in selling anything. I need some professional help as far as who I would contact at such a large company and how much the land is really worth. I don't think I can just call them up and say "can I buy that old house you have?".

In other words, I don't have a clue what I'm doing, I need some help from somebody who does. An intermediary to make a realistic offer to the company in a professional way, and, possibly investigate the reasons as to why all this property is just abandoned. It could be some simple zoning issue or something I don't understand.

Who do I need to contact for more help on this issue? Some kind of commercial real estate agent? A real estate lawyer? Someone else?

Default Re: Buying Land That Isn't for Sale

most times it has to do with pollution. a factory will buy up local properties because it is polluting their wells and air. Any real estate agent will be able to contact the owners and ask them about properties.

Be careful about buying property, All ways refer to an EPA pollution map and a NRCS Soil Survey. they are free on the Internet.

Quote Quoting JuniperBush
    View Post
    most times it has to do with pollution. a factory will buy up local properties because it is polluting their wells and air.
    I guess that is possible, but there are other houses randomly scattered within the area just as close to the mill or more in the path of the steam discharge. I know the mill was there first, before the houses came along, and all the houses should be on city water. The mill has been there over a hundred years, I'd say the houses were lived in less than 5-10 years ago...

My interest here is basically flattening a lot and using for storage, so I don't care about pollution unless it's some kind of haz mat site.

You should care about environmental contamination since you could be on the hook for cleaning it up one day. Mills used to develop houses for their workers to live in. These mill towns were all across the U.S.

You can contact the company yourself and ask for the real estate manager. Ask him or her if they would consider selling any lots. If so, negotiate price and have an attorney handle the closing for you and purchase an owner's title policy.

You could also find a realtor to make the contacts and handle the negotations and sales contract.

1. Sponsored Links