Default No Headlights, VC 24000(A)(2) Violation

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: California

I got a ticket the day after Christmas (yaayyy..) while driving home from Elk Grove to East Sacramento. I got pulled over around the Elk Grove area for not having my headlights on.

Initially, I had my high beams on, then turned them off, thinking the headlights were still on. At the traffic light, there was a cop car across from me. The car next to me flashed their lights to indiciate mine were off, so I turned mine back on. The police pulled me over after my light turned green and questioned why my lights were turned on once I saw them. I tried to reason with them and tell them what happened, but they dismissed my reasoning as a made up story.

My violation says, 'traffic', '24000 (a)(2) CV - no headlight on during darkness', and it says it's not correctable. I'm trying to locate more information about the violation to compose a trial by written declaration letter. All the information I can find just says, "24000. Wherever in this division the word "department" occurs, it means the Department of the California Highway Patrol." I am wondering if anyone knows what this code refers to and if anyone has some advice on how to handle this. I also tried to locate the amount for the ticket. The results indicate my ticket has not yet been entered into the system or something.

My first scheduled court date is on the 8th. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Default Re: No Headlights, VC 24000(A)(2) Violation

There IS no CVC 24000(a)(2). I suspect you read the officer's writing incorrectly, or, he cited the old section. The section that should have been cited should probably have been CVC24400(b). This was changed from 24400(a)(2) last year, so you were cited for an OLD section that has since been changed to 24400(b).

Since the section cited does not exist, unless amended, you may be able to get it dismissed at arraignment.

I suspect the delay in its entry is as a result of the court returning it to the issuing agency and officer for amendment. Whether it will be amended or no tis hard to say. Be sure to show at the time and date indicated on the citation. Unless you receive something IN WRITING, do NOT miss the court date!

Ahh, thank you for getting back to me. i've been calling the courts for the past two weeks, and nothing has been entered into the system for my citation, so they wouldn't be able to schedule a court date even if I showed up. Indeed, I was cited for the CVC 24000(a)(2) code. My court date was today, but the court people told me to check back every three weeks to see if the citation has been added, and that they have a year to do so.

I got a notice in the mail today for a correction for the citation code, where the officer or whoever fixed it to the proper CVC24400(b). Are they allowed to do that? It's been about 2.5 months since I've been cited. Is there any way I can argue this? I have a copy of the citation still.

AHHH, so stressful :[

Quote Quoting nanabuuui
    View Post
    I got a notice in the mail today for a correction for the citation code, where the officer or whoever fixed it to the proper CVC24400(b). Are they allowed to do that?
    Yes, they're allowed to do that. You should expect the amended citation to be filed in court within the next week or so... So contact the court to either arrange for a court appearance or to pay the fine.

Quote Quoting nanabuuui
    View Post
    It's been about 2.5 months since I've been cited.
    As you were told by the clerk, they have a full year to file an amendment/correct the error.

Quote Quoting nanabuuui
    View Post
    Is there any way I can argue this? I have a copy of the citation still.
    There is nothing to argue... The error was corrected and the case will proceed as if it didn't happen. Sorry!

1. Sponsored Links