Default Non-Driving Underage Drinking Charge

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Pennsylvania

I'm an underage college student who was attending a party that got shut down by the police. The officers blocked off the steps leading downstairs and had me give them my license to obtain my information. While writing, the officer asked me if I had been drinking, to which I replied, "I had a few sips, but I'm not inebriated." After she finished writing she handed me my license and I was on my way. Today, I received a summons to appear before the magistrate.

How should I go about handling this situation? I truly was not drunk, though I did have a small amount of alcohol throughout the night. I feel as though if I had just told the officer I hadn't been drinking at all they would have no grounds to charge me. However, I feel my response was self-incriminating and my best option may just be trying to get the charges reduced to disorderly conduct.

Please let me know what you think. I would hate to get in a lot of trouble and tarnish my record over a situation where I really wasn't doing anything wrong. Thank you!

Default Re: Non-Driving Underage Drinking Charge (PA)

Depending on your demeanor and whether the alcohol was strong enough to be smelled on your breath, they may not have needed the confession. Which you did. So long as you had consumed as little as a sip, you are guilty of the charge facing you.

You are correct, your best bet is to try and get it reduced or a sentence that allows the charge to be sealed/expunged. Seek competent legal counsel.

1. Sponsored Links