Default Power Line Running Over My House in New York

I own a house in NY where the power company has an easement to run through there. (assume they have an easement). before I purchased the home an addition was put onto the back on the house. There is a 10' portion of the house that the powerlines run directly over. this concerns me. Id assume the lines were there before the addition. However, am not 100% sure. What are my rights here? Id talked to National Grid about moving them and they state "what was there first" told them I don't know and they want ~ $15k to move them.

what are my rights here?

Default Re: Power Line Running Over My House in New York

Quote Quoting Kirch
    View Post

what are my rights here?
    to figure out which was there first and then determine if you have any rights to demand anything based on the results or any other possibility such as a prescriptive easement.

You might want to check to see if the addition had even been legally permitted to be built.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    to figure out which was there first and then determine if you have any rights to demand anything based on the results or any other possibility such as a prescriptive easement.

You might want to check to see if the addition had even been legally permitted to be built.
    I concur. Be careful waking this sleeping dog. The power company may insist you're encroaching on their right of way and ask you to pay the cost to relocate the line or remove the addition.

If the overhead clearance (distance between the top of the house and the conductors) does not meet the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) standards the power company will not accept the risk.

mdindestin;496038] Be careful waking this sleeping dog. The power company may insist you're encroaching on their right of way and ask you to pay the cost to relocate the line or remove the addition.
    A very good point. Of course that might provide the OP with an action against the seller for damages or even a rescission but without more information, impossible to determine at this point.

1. Sponsored Links