Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My Wife's Employer is Not Asking for an I-9 or W-4 Form, Tax Issues

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Georgia

My wife recently started working at a private school, and when she started she was told that they do not take taxes from any employee's pay check. The school did make copies of her DL, Permanant Resident card and SS card though. She was told that she would be paid 15 dollars per hour, but the employer does not keep records of hours worked. Her co workers informed her that they are under "yearly" contracts and cannot quit while under contract. She tells me it is obvious the school is abusing the students (for example force feeding them should they not eat their lunch).

What can she do should she not be paid, or is not allowed to quit. What will be our obligations should she recieve a paycheck without having taxes taken out of it. What should she do about the abuses she is seeing?

This all sounds very illegal to me, but if someone more knowlegable on labor law can comment, please do.

Default Re: My Wife's Employer is Not Asking for an I-9 or W-4 Form, Other Issues

Quote Quoting cybrwzrd
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Georgia

My wife recently started working at a private school, and when she started she was told that they do not take taxes from any employee's pay check. The school did make copies of her DL, Permanant Resident card and SS card though. She was told that she would be paid 15 dollars per hour, but the employer does not keep records of hours worked. Her co workers informed her that they are under "yearly" contracts and cannot quit while under contract. She tells me it is obvious the school is abusing the students (for example force feeding them should they not eat their lunch).

What can she do should she not be paid, or is not allowed to quit. What will be our obligations should she recieve a paycheck without having taxes taken out of it. What should she do about the abuses she is seeing?

This all sounds very illegal to me, but if someone more knowlegable on labor law can comment, please do.
    Yes, what they are doing is very much illegal, but they will keep doing it as long as they have people who are willing to accept jobs under those conditions.

Default Re: My Wife's Employer is Not Asking for an I-9 or W-4 Form, Other Issues

What is she doing for them?

She sounds somewhat like a private contractor or consultant of some sort,she has to file her own taxes. It sounds like it can get more involved and cost more when she has to file taxes with her accountant. She can contact some local labor place or ask any familiar one with taxes and ask them what the deal is. If she not paid salary they must keep some track of her hours to know how much to pay her each week. Something sounds fishy,she should right down her hours in a notebook and safe all her pay checks.

Before we can give a reliable opinion, we need to hear back from the OP to answer my question.

Wait, what?

Children are being FORCE-FED? Nothing is being reported to child services?

Is this serious, or is just an exaggeration?

Remember OP - your wife is likely a mandated reporter...

In terms of a one-year contract, that would presumably mean that all workers have to be rehired at the end of the year. A one-year contract doesn't prevent somebody from quitting during the course of a year.

Please explain the force-feeding. What the heck kind of school is this anyway? OP, is this whole story a lie or what?

Sorry for the delay in my response. She is teaching Japanese. She just recieved her first paycheck, and it was in the form of a handwritten business check.

I am going by what she tells me, but I trust her not to lie when she says that the other teachers force feed the children, even if it makes them sick... (and yeah I know that is illegal).

Well, there are lots of laws probably being violated here, but it doesn't sound like the company is going to change its mind.

What does she want to do about it?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast