Unhappy Leaving a Scene of Accident

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: Texas

Hi, just today I was pulling out my car in a parking lot of a school and scratched the side of the car parked next to mine. One other women came amost yelling at me and asked to pull back in because I hit the car.

I told her that I didnt hit the car. She said she will report it to the secruity guard, owner of the car, and the police. I got scared and told her to report my license plate number - thinking that there was almost no damage so she will drop it. (BIG MISTAKE).

Cops came by my house in the evening and gave me a letter to appear in the court. They also took some pictures of my car. Now I am really scared - what to do?

I found some information on the forum saying that if the property damage is more than $200 then it is class B misdemeanor. This is my first accident on file ever. what should I do... please help.

Thanks and god bless!

Default Re: Leaving a Scene of Accident

Report the matter to your insurance and consult with a criminal defense attorney before appearing in court.

Unfortunately a scratch these days can be big bucks especially if the owner of the car doesn't want it spot painted.

The owner is probably mad that you had the chance to stop and make things right but decided to evade your responsibility with arrogance pitting your word against the witnesses word and thinking you could just run off. I doubt the owner is going to bargain with you now as what could have happened had you just not left. Maybe you could have had the scratch or mark buffed out for $50; if not, then it was not hardly any damage.

If there was hardly any damage, why evade ?

Expect your insurance rates to go up and some court costs.

So I also advise you to start saving. This is going to impact your pocketbook for years to come if you get big points.

We treat our automobiles like prized show horses here in the states.

Thanks That Guy and Dave.

I now understand that issue. I am 50 year old female and never had an accident so far and this being the first I was too scared.

I will find an attorney first thing on Monday. I am expecting the damage could be repaired from anywhere between $50 (buffing) and $1000 (complete paint job).

What would be the best thing to do in court? plead guilty?

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

thanks.

You need an attorney to help with court.

You intentionally left the scene of an accident ... an accident with witnesses.

This is not going to look good in court.

Is this your first accident or merely the first you were observed in? Sorry, when someone is acting like a teenager, you ask them the questions you ask a teenager.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    You need an attorney to help with court.

You intentionally left the scene of an accident ... an accident with witnesses.

This is not going to look good in court.

Is this your first accident or merely the first you were observed in? Sorry, when someone is acting like a teenager, you ask them the questions you ask a teenager.
    Not counting my scraping the side of my car against the concrete base of a lamp post in walmart parking lot and hitting the wall in my garage, it's the first one.

Also, I did get one ticket for expired car registration in the past, which was not included on the record because I took the driving school.

Like I said We treat cars like prized horses. I wish they would cap damage to automobiles as its not fair scratching a $200,000 car by accident and ending up with a life long high insurance costs.

I can see scratching someones prized possession and being afraid to get beat up.Some people are completely in love with their cars to a point of obsession.

Your lawyer will do his best to talk the prosecutor into lowering the charges and will succeed somewhat at a cost to you though.

Let me ask all:

Could she have left a note and could she have told the witness to give whoever she hit her plate number. Maybe she could have assumed the witness knew the car owner and understood the witness was going to give the owner the info so she can pay for the damage. Its a stretch I know.

Well I asked the witness to give the owner my plate number and she agreed she would. I assumed the witness knew the owner, I was also afraid of getting beat up as some people are so possessive with their cars and I do have anxiety attacks at time and I had trouble breathing and my heart started palpitating. The police contacted me before I could report this to my insurance company.

I would consult with an attorney before using any of these far fetched defenses though as they could easily backfire and make matters worse.

I can't think of any other defense. The real question will be: did you make an effort to come forward after you got home or left the scene.

What would other do if the scratched some crazy guys prized vehicle who was tending to business inside someplace and was afraid for their lives. I may take off and immediately call the police? Leave my info and take off and call the police ? I really don't know.

1. Sponsored Links