Default Difference Between Credit Card Debt and Amount Claimed in Garnishment Order

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Arizona

I'm in need of advice...

I've been sued by Zwicker & Associates on behalf of Discover Card for about $6,700. They've just began the wage garnishment process, taking about $510 a month from my wages.

I just checked my credit report, and Discover Card says "$2572 written off. $2572 past due."

I asked for a Debt Validation letter last week from Zwicker, and was spoken to in an extremely rude manner, told they "don't have to send me anything," and "obviously everything checked out because a judge granted the suit," and finally, "we don't care what you say, we're getting our money either way," then hung up on me.

I have no idea how to proceed from here - given that info - any help?

Default Re: Difference Between Credit Card Debt and Amount Claimed in Garnishment Order

If you're looking at a report of your credit card debt, that would presumably be the last balance owed that they reported to the credit reporting agency. The amount you owe under the judgment is the amount awarded by the court - and that presumably includes the most recent balance, late fees, penalties, possibly attorney fees, and possibly judgment interest. If you disagreed with the amounts being claimed during the litigation of your credit card debt, you should have challenged the numbers at that time. I am not in a position to verify any amount claimed by the plaintiff in that case, nor am I able to advise you as to whether you have waited too long to appeal or otherwise challenge the judgment. If you're inclined to try that I suggest taking a copy of the documents from the court case, including the judgment and garnishment order, to a lawyer for review.

Default Re: Difference Between Credit Card Debt and Amount Claimed in Garnishment Order

But it wasn't stated under "last balance owed" it was stated under something along the lines of "status of account". Either way, Zwicker refuses to send me Debt Validation letters... What should I do?

1. Sponsored Links