Default Inaccurate Background Check

My question involves a background check in the State of: California

I am in the midst of job searching and been given multiple background checks.

The last two I have received have shown me as being a 1st degree sex offender. I am NOT a sex offender or have ever been convicted of any felony for that matter. The background check showed that I had been convicted of this crime in Missouri in 2006. However I had never been to Missouri until last year.

I have contacted authorities in Missouri and they show no one with my SSN being convicted of such a crime.

I would like to know how I can get the background check companies to stop showing this inaccurate information about me. Please help me with instructions on how to get this problem resolved. Thanks!

Default Re: Inaccurate Background Check

The first step is to find out where the bad information is coming from. Is there someone with a similar name? An SSN one digit off? Someone who used to live at your address? Until you know where the background check companies are getting the information, how do you propose to stop it?

Per Privacy Rights Clearinghouse:

If your employment background check includes inaccurate information, you should file a dispute in writing with the company that prepared the report. The company has 30 days to investigate your dispute. You should receive a written notice of the results not later than five business days after the investigation is completed.

To correct the error, you need to go to the source of the inaccuracy. This may be a court or a credit issuer. There are many different background check companies and fixing the inaccuracy with one company will not prevent another company from finding the same inaccurate information the next time.

Same problem here. I have a guy with the same name and birthday as me that is a multi-felon. That might be the case for you too.

1. Sponsored Links