Default Start and End Date Disagreement, Miscommunication

My question involves real estate located in the State of: PA

I moved to Pittsburgh last year on Feb 5th and started my lease on Feb 5th for 6 months ending on 7/31. I notified my land lord two months before to extended my lease 6 months to make it a 1 year lease which we agreed over phone and email. I said that he would send me a new copy of the lease and for an additional six months. He sent me a copy of the lease with NO DATES ON IT, so i called him and let him know, he instructed me to sign the lease and mail it back and he'll fill in the rest and send me a copy (my mistake #1). After I mailed it back to him, he never sent me a copy back, I should have asked (my mistake #2).

He had written the lease out through February when I only wanted a 6 month extension. Making it through February would make it a 7 month lease.

He is now only refunding half of my $720 security deposit because I moved out at the end of January. I had even repeatedly sent him messages and called him letting him now that I will be moved out that weekend but he never told me that the lease was THROUGH Feb and not TO Feb.

Here is are the chain of emails:

Hi John,

I was confused originally as to when the 6 months period would be. I thought you were saying that the 6 months would take me to the end of Feb and that is why I agree’d, but the end of Feb would make it 7 months.

Hey John,

I thought we would just extend it to Feb 2011 making it a year long from my original date. We had talked about just a 6month lease at first when we had first spoken back in January and then the option to extend another 6months.

Thanks!

Ronak

Regards,

Ronak

Sent: Monday, February 21, 2011 12:40 PM
    To: Patel, Ronak
    Cc: shelly
    Subject: Re: lease

As you see below Ronak, you are the one who specifically requested that your lease go to the end of February. I did you a favor by saving you a half month's rent since the place was empty.

----- Original Message -----
    To: costelloproperties
    Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 3:47:11 PM
    Subject: RE: lease
    End of feb

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 3:46 PM

beginning or end of feb?

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 3:42:28 PM
    Hey John,

I thought we would just extend it to Feb 2011 making it a year long from my original date. We had talked about just a 6month lease at first when we had first spoken back in January and then the option to extend another 6months.

Thanks!

Ronak

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 3:40 PM

It ends 7/31/10. I will send you a new one through 7/31/11.

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 3:27:23 PM
    Hi John,

If I recall correctly, my lease was a 6month lease but will be a 1 year lease now extended to Feb 2011.

Thanks!

Ronak

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 3:26 PM

are you wanting to extend your lease through next year? I cant remember if we discussed this.

Default Re: Start and End Date Disagreement, Miscommunication

well, it appears there is no agreement to anything here. Obviously in one email, the LL understood you wanted a year lease once the original lease expired and it goes downhill from there.

The huge problem is: since your lease does state through Feb and you have no support to prove it was a mistake, you don't really have much of a case to argue anything to the contrary.

there appears to be something missing from this communication. It speaks of something to show that you had specifically requested your lease be extended through the end of Feb. What proof is the LL referring to?

Sent: Monday, February 21, 2011 12:40 PM
    Cc: shelly

As you see below Ronak, you are the one who specifically requested that your lease go to the end of February. I did you a favor by saving you a half month's rent since the place was empty.

He is referring to the string of emails there....

i stated this before..

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 3:42:28 PM
    Hey John,

Thanks!

Ronak

but in that particular communication, he remarks:
    As you see below Ronak, you are the one who specifically requested that your lease go to the end of February.
    which would appear to refer to some specific inclusion in that communication that proved his point. There is nothing posted that would fulfill the statement made.

1. Sponsored Links