Default Landlord's Obligations After Tenants Break a Lease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York

At the end of December 2010 my tenants renting a condo from me called me in to tell me they were breaking their lease two months early their lease did not end until March 31, 2011. They asked if they could use security and last months rent to carry them through stupidly I agreed. Two weeks later they call me to ask if I might be returning their security. I verbally agree with them that I will refund their security minus any damage to the condo if I re-rent by Feb. 1, 2011. We agree. I do re-rent and return the deposit as I said with an itemized list of damage. They now call wanting last months rent back as well. Do I owe them any monies? New York State

Default Re: Landlord's Obligations After Tenants Break a Lease

The amount of money they owe you is calculated by deducting any remaining amount that they owe you from the security deposit. If that number is greater than zero, that's what you pay. If that number is less than zero, that's what they owe. You need to do the math.

1. Sponsored Links