Default Neglect of Colostomy Patient in Need of Surgery

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: California. In June 2010 my wife went to see a Dr. to have a diverting colostomy bag because she has a perforated rectum into her vagina from a sigmodoscopy that happened in Aug 2009. My wife has been neglected since then because she lost her insurance. On about June 4th 2010 the surgeon did a procedure on my wife and set her up for surgery on Jun 21st. 2010. As we were leaving the nurse told us the doctor forgot to have her sign a waver for the procedure he did on her. The procedure he did caused severe pain and burning. My wife didn't have a PCP so I called the doctor that did the procedure and asked if he could prescribe her something for the pain and burning which he denied. On June 18th she went to the pre surgery check in where they told my wife she had e-coli and a complated UTI. She asked for antibiotics and they said they don't have antibiotics there. As we were leaving the nurse said you have a $2000.00 a month share of cost and canceled her surgery until further notice. I called the surgeon on Monday morning to find out what her platelet count was because she all so has ITP. A blood platelet desise where pain and stress among other things makes her platelets drop to dangerous levels. I called all day Monday and at about 5:00 pm they told me her platelets were at a dangerous level and take her to the ER. I got upset and asked why they waited all weekend and I had to call all day for them to tell me to take her to the ER. I took her to Loma Linda hospital and they admitted her. When they released her the release papers said the doctor requested not to treat my wife due to a conflict with her husband. The hospital sent her home to suffer without repairing her perforated rectum and without a colostomy bag. They set her up for surgery on Jan 7th for a colostomy bag. On Jan 3rd we went to the pre surgery check in where Sergio said the same surgeon canceled her surgery for no known reason again.

Default Re: Neglect of Colostomy Patient in Need of Surgery

On Jan 3rd we went to the pre surgery check in where Sergio said the same surgeon canceled her surgery for no known reason again.
    so ask the surgeon. I suspect it might have something to do with no means to pay him. Contrary to popular belief, a doctor does not have to treat a patient that cannot pay them in most situations.

He never spoke to us about the ability to pay. Other then the statement by the clerk that she has medi-cal with a $2000.00 a month share of cost. It says on her release papers from the hospital " She previously saw Dr. ---- who has requested not to see her due to conflict with her husband" How can a surgeon use his power by having a conflict with a person and make another person suffer and might die because of it? After June she lost her medi-cal and the Jan. surgery was covered by Loma Linda's Charity program. On the June release papers it said the Dr. didn't want to help her, why did Loma Linda make my wife suffer for 6 more month with a perforated rectum. They could have told us then he was the only colorectal surgeon. Thanks for any help.

so, ask the surgeon.

He never spoke to us about the ability to pay.
    well, while you didn't explain it, I took what you wrote to imply there was a problem with payment due to this:

As we were leaving the nurse said you have a $2000.00 a month share of cost and canceled her surgery until further notice.
    You eluded to nothing else as to why the surgery was cancelled.

How can a surgeon use his power by having a conflict with a person and make another person suffer and might die because of it?
    because as a married couple, the spouse has a great influence on the patient. If you did something that the doctor sees as causing him a problem, then he simply removes himself from the entire situation.

and while he may be the only surgeon of that type at Loma Linda, I suspect he isn't the only one in California.

You can't make a doctor do work he chooses to not do. I suspect the patient and the husband need to speak with the surgeon to attempt to resolve whatever issue there is.

Thank you for the reply, If the husband did something inappropriate he should be banned from the hospital, Don't make a person who is battling cervical cancer, ITP, Lupus, and now a perforated rectum suffer. My wife and I were driving down the street and a cat ran out in front of the car ahead of us. The car ran over the cat. We pulled over and put the cat in the car and took it to the animal hospital. The cat didn't know what was going on and tried to scratch the doctor. The cat didn't have an owner or insurance but they were able to help the cat.

It's unfortunate, then, that the animal hospital doesn't treat people.

You know what you did that alienated the doctor; we don't. It doesn't help you to be cagey about it.

Well, in the world we live in, doctors will do what they must to protect themselves. I suspect the doctor fears litigation initiated at the husbands urging. He would simply be acting in a prudent manner if that is the case.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    It's unfortunate, then, that the animal hospital doesn't treat people.

You know what you did that alienated the doctor; we don't. It doesn't help you to be cagey about it.
    First he wasn't going to operate because of her share of cost. It wasn't untill later he changed it to a conflict. The only conflict I can think of is on friday they did a blood test to check her plattlets. I didn't here from them so I called on monday morning to find out what her plattlets were and they couldn't tell me. I called all day monday and at 5:00 pm the nurse told me her plattlets were at a critical level and take her to the ER.

1. Sponsored Links