Default Is a Condo Buyer Be Liable for Damage to Neighboring Unit from Before Closing

My question involves a condominium located in the State of: Hawaii

We are in the process of buying a foreclosed condo, due to close in a few days.

Prior to us being in the picture, the house had been on the market for a long time. There was a potential buyer a while before us and this previous potential buyer sent in an inspector and left the water on in the washer and flooded the property and caused substantial water damage and we understood this, we had contractors ready to go after closing, to demo/replace the drywall, and change out the flooring.

The other day, while taking a contractor through our condo, my family members and Realtor were confronted by an adjoining neighbor to the condo.

This certain neighbor said they have lawyers lined up and are ready to sue for damages. from my understanding, they are threatening us, that if we buy this condo we "inherit" the lawsuit for the water damages incurred by an inspector that we had no ties to what-so-ever, nor do we do them. They went as far as taking my family members and Realtor through their condo and said that this was their damages and that they will be suing us for replacing furniture, cabinets, carpeting, etc. They stated the condo assoc. gave them money, but they want more to cover damages. Can we "inherit" this lawsuit we are being threatened with? Who is responsible for that damages?

After going through the contract for the condo, it did not state anything about "inheriting" an lawsuits connected with the condo.

Default Re: Can We "Inherit" a Lawsuit

from my understanding, they are threatening us, that if we buy this condo we "inherit" the lawsuit
    They can threaten all they want. You are not responsible for the damages. Their beef is with the person who caused the damages.

That said, speak with your attorney, because even though you're not responsible, there's nothing to stop them from trying to sue you anyway.

1. Sponsored Links