Default In Ohio How Long Does the Court Have to Set a Trial Date for a Speeding Ticket

In Ohio how long does the court have to set a trial date for a speeding ticket? It is thirty-one days as of today, because they were closed due to weather on my court day. They want me to sign something so they can push it out to March and I said no. They want to try and get it in on the next couple of days so they can still have the case. This is according to the bailiff.

Default Re: In Ohio How Long Does the Court Have to Set a Trial Date for a Speeding Ticket

It looks to me like the statutory framework is thirty days under O.R.C. 2945.71(A).

If you don't sign something to agree to waive your speedy trial rights, I expect the prosecutor to bring a motion which, as the reason for the delay is not attributable to anything but the weather, they're apparently doing their best to get your case tried at the earliest possible time and as it's unlikely that you will be able to demonstrate any prejudice to your ability to defend your case based upon the delay, I would expect the judge to grant.

1. Sponsored Links