Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Where Can I File a Complaint if I Feel I'm Being Profiled and Targeted

My question involves civil rights in the State of:Nevada

I go to the public library and the supervisor there keeps on watching me while I sit and do my college work on one of the couches and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Two weeks ago while they were closing down the library she told me what I was doing by the door and to get out the "other door" which I found to be weird because I was the only one she told this to and there was still people in the library. I know she was targeting me because I was the only one she said this to and there was still time left for the library to close. Today I was doing some college work on one of the couches and she kept on watching and staring at me constantly. After a while I became uncomfortable and moved farther away so I could concentrate on my homework. I went back to the couch and continued my homework and she continued watching me. After a while I decided I couldn't get my work done by her just staring me down with an angry grin on her face and decided to go look at some books. I left my backpack by the couch so she wouldn't suspect anything and went to to browse some books. I walked around and checked out books by the edge of the shelves and I noticed she was still watching me. I moved section by section and she actually started walking to wherever I walked pretending to be aligning books. By this point I knew she was targeting me and even stalking me. She walked by me and said"where closing down in a few minutes" there was still 22 minutes until they closed down. 5 minuted later she said "were closing down you better check out books in five minutes" I didn't say anything at this point I felt she was following me trying to intimidate me and discriminate me. I couldn't even talk at this point from anger and shock. I continued browsing the videos I figured she couldn't follow me if I stayed close to the front desk. She still kept watching me though. She didn't say anything to the other people that were using the computers until 7 minutes till closing and one guy that was in the magazine section wasn't even told it was closing. I went by the section were the people using the computer were and she told me to go out the other doors even though people go out those doors all the time and it has no sign saying its for employees only, it says "exit only". I waited there until a guy went out and I went out got in my car and waited in it to warm up. Even from inside she kept watching me. I noticed while I was inside the library she said something about calling dispatch which I later found out it was the police, she told one of the employees the next time she wouldn't even tell me she would just call the police. Thats when the guy using the computer left, and the other people stayed in there for about 3 minutes still using the computers and went out the doors she told ME not to go out of. I want to know how I can file a complaint so I'm not bothered by her any more or other measures I can take to stop this, like a restraining order or something similar. Two weeks ago she started and I let it slip but I will not allow someone to violate my rights like this and walk all over me, specially in a place were everyone is expected to be treated the same way. If this behavior continues can I elevate this and press charges? She works for the county, so I can file a complaint/charges at he court house for the county since the county employs her. Any feedback/advice will be appreciated.

Default Re: Where Can I File a Complaint if I Feel I'm Being Profiled and Targeted

Nothing you have said comes close to being any kind of illegal discrimination or harassment.

Default Re: Where Can I File a Complaint if I Feel I'm Being Profiled and Targeted

I want her to stop deliberately watching me all the time and telling only ME the library is closing, before the library closes. She followed me and watched me while I was browsing books. She is targeting/profiling me and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Its harassment and I will file a complaint to stop this unacceptable behavior. What would you do if you were being watched, profiled and followed? Wouldn't it make you feel uncomfortable and a little unsafe? I just want to stop being profiled and feel comfortable in public place that should feel safe.

I'd be checking MY behavior and attitude. I'd perhaps be concerned that my monitoring of HER might be making HER uncomfortable or threatened.

Regardless, you have no lawsuit here. By all means complain to the library, but don't expect anything to change. You realize that it's a privilege and NOT a right, correct?

My attitude is good and I'm not monitoring her. I keep to myself, try not to look at her, even when she's staring me down and try I to avoid her.I don't want to file a lawsuit right now I just want to file a complaint to let her know I'm not comfortable being profiled and I'm aware of my rights to feel safe and will not tolerate being targeted. If she continues this AFTER I file the complaint, then I might escalate it.

Okay, narrow this down. On what characteristic do you believe she is discriminating/profiling you? Because you have STILL not posted anything to suggest that she is doing anything illegal.

She followed me when I went to browse the books and told me they were closing the library. There was still 22 minutes left to close and she didn't tell this to anyone else. I know she was profiling because I was the only one she said this to. I kept on browsing and she kept on watching and following me around. when I went by one of the exits she told me not to go out of those doors, I was again the only one she said this to. Its an exit, that's what it is for to exit. I know what she is doing is Illegal and wrong.

NOTHING illegal has occurred here given even your most recent post.

I know what she is doing is Illegal
    Then be sure to let us know what the police say when you report her illegal activity.

I know she was profiling because I was the only one she said this to.
    That's not going to cut it for a claim of profiling or discrimination. On what GROUNDS do you think she is discriminating against you or profiling you? Your age? Your race? Your marital status? Your hair color? WHAT?

Honestly, it sounds like you're spending as much time watching HER as you're complaining that she's watching you. Unfortunately, there's nothing to STOP her from watching you if you're in a public place where she is an employee. She's not harassing you, preventing you from using the facilities, making threats, nor any other unlawful or menacing action. You can complain to management that she gives you the creeps, and that you feel she watches your actions more than other people's, but you've suffered no damages, have no case for a restraining order, and nothing to sue for. I'd realistically be expecting management to say "thanks for letting us know" and take no action.

Do you even know what profiling MEANS? It certainly doesn't appear so from your posts.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast