Default Wrongful Termination and Defamation of Business Reputation

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Arizona

I was just fired from my job. The reason for my termination was as follows (im sorry if this is long).
    On the 17th of this month I had a meeting with management concerning an issue with miscommunication between managers and myself. The disagreement concerned SOP and two conflicting opinions as to whether or not I followed it while dealing with a client who was dissatisfied with our services. At the end of the meeting I was supposed to sign an agreement that would state what was gone over in the meeting, I was never presented this document.
    Today I was called in for another meeting with the same members of management and given the written proof of our last meeting. I highlighted a few things I didn't agree with and jotted a note down regarding subject matter that was written but not gone over in the meeting, I then signed this copy.
    After returning this copy to my manager and her leaving the room she returned once again 5 minutes later with a new document. She said that because I altered the original that I needed to fill a new one out (she said this as she shredded the old one which I have a photo copy of). The new copy was exactly the same with the exception of a new line that had been written stating "Failure to comply with the terms stated above can result in termination". I refused to sign this copy and stated that it made me uncomfortable that it said that considering it was supposed to simply be a review of our meeting and not an actual written warning. She tried to convince me to sign it by telling me that is was standard policy to write that on all their documents.
    Moving on... Upon the actual meeting and termination the final write up stated that I had failed to comply with the agreement that I had signed on the 17th (which they tried to get me to sign today) and that as a result they were terminating my employment. They also stated that I was jeopardizing the company's image with my actions. I am curious if what they did was legal and if I am within my rights to pursue litigation against them

Default Re: Wrongful Termination and Defamation of Business Reputation

Yes, what they did was legal. No, you have no grounds for suit.

Even though their grounds for termination are based on documents that don't exist?

They don't need grounds. They can fire you for any reason not specifically prohibited by law, including the fact that they simply don't like you. Google at-will employment.

1. Sponsored Links