Default Constantly Being Pulled Over Due to the Condition of My Vehicle

My question involves police conduct in the State of: Colorado, Texas, Kansas, and Florida.

I have been pulled over in 4 states for absolutely little or no reason, and I'm fed up with it. I have driven the same car now since 2007. In 2010 around this time in January, my car was hit and severely damaged my side door and fender to the point where it pops out a few inches from the body. I have to tape the top of the door to prevent water/snow/bugs from getting in. I also have a dented roof from when I slid and crashed into a street sign. In a nutshell, my car "looks" like a piece of shit. I used to NEVER get pulled over. Now, since January 2010 I have been pulled over about 8 times, and ticketed only once for speeding. Every other time was just 'questioning'.

However, everything else is fine...lights all working, tire tread only 15,000 miles old, I use all signals and registration is updated. However, that's not enough. I have gotten to the point where I am afraid every time I see headlights follow me for more than 10 seconds.

Just last night, I came out of a suburban Colorado gym at 11 pm. As I walked to my car, I spotted a Sheriff vehicle parked on the other side of the parking lot. As I got into my car and left the parking lot, I got pulled over immediately. It almost seemed as if he'd been waiting there for me to get out the gym. I was VERY angry. I rolled down the window and asked him in the most irritated manner possible, "what the **** are you pulling me over for?" The reason? "Because there's alot of 'stuff' going on in that shopping mall, and my back windows are too dark. Mind you, they have been the same tint % since 2008

A couple other times in both Texas and Colorado I have been pulled over for petty reasons, but the real reason is to find out if I have drugs or a warrant, etc. etc. I find it harassing, and it has left me in fear every time I drive. I also am afraid to drive at night since this is generally when the incidents happen.

Because of this, I began harassing the man who caused this accident last year who I still have not gotten any compensation for. He lied to the insurance company, and not only am I stuck with the damage, but I'm stuck having to look like a damn drug feign who probably drives drunk and crashes his car and doesn't care. Yet my car is in immaculate condition with the exception of what THAT idiot did to it.

What can I possibly do to stop constantly being pulled over for nothing? I even changed my license plate thinking maybe they didn't like my custom wording. Obviously what happened last night, it meant nothing

Or maybe cops just need to stop profiling Black men who drive out of state vehicles with body damage

Default Re: Constantly Being Pulled Over Due to the Condition of My Vehicle

I doubt your claim of profiling is applicable. After all, you are claiming four states are involved. Possible but unlikely.

What can I possibly do to stop constantly being pulled over for nothing?
    I would suggest either fixing your car or getting a different car. The other problem is that it has been across 4 states, I would guess it wasn't more than once in any given jurisdiction. Kind of hard to prove racial profiling for a one time thing.

Because of this, I began harassing the man who caused this accident last year who I still have not gotten any compensation for.
    I would be cautious about harassing. Have you sued the guy yet? If he is liable and the facts support it, your action would be to sue the guy.

It very much IS profiling. Maybe not RACIAL profiling, but certainly profiling. I can name 2 more times I was pulled over for nothing other than last night. Another time in Colorado I was pulled over because "I didn't have a front license plate". Well DURRGHH...Florida does not issue front license plates, only 1. I never got pulled over for that before. Again, no ticket.

Another time, I was leaving my brother's extended stay motel when I got pulled over for, "turning into the wrong lane." Which was complete bullshit because the officer began asking 50 million questions about why I was there, who was I seeing, where my parent's work, why am I in Texas, etc. etc. Again, no citation. Just random harassment. And I'm FED UP WITH IT!

Another time, I got stopped and searched in Kansas. For no other reason but profiling. A single young Black man driving on the highway alone...he HAS GOT to be selling drugs. Pull him over! Well thanks for wasting f*cking tax dollars pulling me over asshole, no drugs!

This guy, I just filed a 2nd civil suit against for the accident in December. This is the 2nd court date attempt. He ended up returning the letter to sender (court) leaving me out of $90 for nothing. The court wants another $60 to send someone to his job. Well how about I go to his job and make a damn scene and have the cops come out for free! I tried to handle with him in a civil manner, but I cannot deal with this police harassment so therefore I have no choice but to go after him personally. Last night was the last draw...and I know I'm being PROFILED and DISCRIMINATED against by police.

I really hate to get all 'Black this, Black that'....and like I said it may not be that at all, but fact is police are being prejudice and for them to be repeatedly stopping me....even if it is in different cities, needs to stop. Looking at someone, and looking at their car and determining that as reason to stop them is BULL-JIVE! I might as well throw away all the weeks of driver's ed because driving safe isn't enough to not get pulled over. And I'm sure they figure if a n*gger is driving very well, he must be up to something anyhow!

And I'm sure they figure if a n*gger is driving very well, he must be up to something anyhow!
    There are about 39 million African American citizens in the US. If race was the only reason for stopping you was true, I figure the cops would not have time to do anything else but to stop black folks driving down the road. There is more likely something about you that is drawing their attention. Not saying it's right they stop you as such but there must be some reason you garner all this attention and not the other 39 million black people who aren't getting stopped with regularity.

and don't let your frustration cause you to do something irrational and get your rear tossed in jail. Yes, the guy that hit you is being a problem but I doubt you want to toss "I went to jail because of that guy" on top of the damaged car.

to the issue in Colorado (and using your inflection); durrgh, since you were in Colorado and cars in Colorado need two plates, seeing a car with only one plate does grab their attention. Once they got behind you and realized you were a Florida registered car they lost their justification to stop you they should not have stopped you though. Personally I would be very tempted to make fun of a cop that pulled me over for such a reason asking him if he realizes there are actually other states in the US and not all of them follow the rules imposed in Colorado.

btw: profiling is not necessarily illegal or even improper. With reference to your comment about the n--- driving properly being a reason for suspicion; there are typical aspects of a person and vehicle that are typical of certain types of criminals. A cop would be remiss to not use such profiling to at least view a situation without some respect to those facts. Now, there are obvious limitations to what actions a cop can take based on those facts but none the less, profiling is a legitimate, and legal, investigative tool.

Not being black, it is difficult for me to fully comprehend some of the actions taken against such minorities and the feelings of those subjected to such actions. Although I can try to claim I understand your anger, obviously I can never understand it in the same manner as you do. As I mentioned previously, the randomness of the actions makes it difficult to show improper actions. A single incident is often explainable, at least to the point of removing a concern of improper actions. Since so many police agencies are involved, it puts you in a position of not being able to show repeated improper acts with any one of them.

So, with that, I just don't have a lot of direction to give you. You might consider contacting a civil rights attorney but as I said, the wide area this concerns makes making a case about anything more difficult. Along the same lines, possibly the ACLU. Other than that, possibly try to find a friendly cop or one that is a friend of a friend and ask them to look at your situation to see if there is something that jumps out at him and would give him reason to view you with suspicion. While individuality is great, sometimes it is less hassle to simply blend in with the masses.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    There are about 39 million African American citizens in the US. If race was the only reason for stopping you was true,.
    That doesn't mean diddly squat. Stats have it more Blacks in the south and east than a place like suburban Colorado. For example, the town I was recently pulled over in has:

Littleton races chart

* White alone - 35,522 (82.5%)
    * Hispanic - 4,880 (11.3%)
    * Asian alone - 1,300 (3.0%)
    * Black alone - 690 (1.6%)
    * Two or more races - 294 (0.7%)
    * American alone - 217 (0.5%)
    * Other race alone - 152 (0.4%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Little...#ixzz1Cb0ZnBdl

So don't give me that BULL crap about 39 million Black people in the U.S. That doesn't mean s**t in the scheme of things. If that cop was so curious about me, he should have walked his happy ass into the gym locker with me rather than waiting out in the parking lot for 2 hours for me to walk to my car. Its harassment. So why shouldn't I feel entitled to harass the idiot who keeps getting me stopped all the time? You know what its like to actually be so afraid to drive at night after seeing police flashers go off 8 times in 1 year! Its unnerving. I've even gotten to the point where I KNOW when a cop is going to pull me over.

I only give slight credit to Colorado because, I don't think the stops are 100% related to race...because lately I have been seeing a 'disturbing' amount of people getting pulled over and 'let go' left and right. So I don't think its just me...Cops need to spend more time going after the people who hit and run cars and shoot friends in front of my face, leaving them to die in the hospital in front of me rather than wasting time parked outside of establishments for a Black person to walk out and stop them..dammit

Its harassment. So why shouldn't I feel entitled to harass the idiot who keeps getting me stopped all the time?
    ever here the old saying: two wrongs don't make a right?

and depending on what you do to harass them, it's could get you arrested. That's why.

If you want to claim it's race call the NAACP, ACLU, or Jesse Jackson, or Al Sharpton.

I've even gotten to the point where I KNOW when a cop is going to pull me over.
    then use your ESP, win one of the big lotteries and buy yourself a new car.

.Cops need to spend more time going after
    and that is what everybody cries. The fact is, anything from jaywalking to murder are all crimes and the police are charged with enforcing all of those laws. I am so tired of hearing people whine about "they need to go after the real criminals".

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    ever here the old saying: two wrongs don't make a right?

and depending on what you do to harass them, it's could get you arrested. That's why.

If you want to claim it's race call the NAACP, ACLU, or Jesse Jackson, or Al Sharpton.

then use your ESP, win one of the big lotteries and buy yourself a new car.

and that is what everybody cries. The fact is, anything from jaywalking to murder are all crimes and the police are charged with enforcing all of those laws. I am so tired of hearing people whine about "they need to go after the real criminals".
    I don't need to call Micheal Jackson, Martin Luther or Malcolm X to claim race. I can and will...and just did...call it racist. If not, profiling. Again...I do not believe it's strictly related to race as my title states: CONDITION OF CAR.

How about we make a deal and you buy me a new car since you suggested it. Thanks, bud!

As for enforcing laws? I wasn't jaywalking and I wasn't murdering anyone. I'm talking about random pulling over innocent people who haven't done a damn thing. You need a good bang up side the head to knock some sense into you...what are you talking about? Listen to what I'm saying instead of making of what you want to think I wrote.

Damaged car

African American

Those are not the same thing. You start out claiming it's the condition of your car and then made a very nice segue into making this a racial issue. Pick one. I see you went back and edited to add a comment concerning race in your first post. Until you did that, there was nothing to indicate you believed race was an issue.

While I'm not going to argue there isn't illegal racial profiling out there and maybe the states and even towns you are driving in are the most anti-black communities in the country but your claim is simply unbelievable. It's most likely either you are the unluckiest black man in America or there is something about you or your actions that give the police a reason to be suspicious of you.

Wait, I have one better; you are on the national database of blacks the police need to harass. It's a nationwide database. Since the advent of automatic license plate readers, it makes it very simple for a cop, anywhere in the US to be alerted you are on the list of people to hassle.

I'm talking about random pulling over innocent people who haven't done a damn thing.
    If that is the case, there is a clear violation of your 4th amendment rights. Random stops are not legal. I suggest finding a very good lawyer that is licensed to practice in the majority of the states you travel within. File a suit against every police officer and department that violates your 4th amendment rights. If you win, you will be able to afford a very nice car.

1. Sponsored Links