Default Failure to Yield in California

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

At a 4-way intersection with a railroadi saw that behind me was a police car followed by an ambulance at a distance. Both only had lights, however, the police car was instructing me to pull to the right.
    I was on the left side to make a left on a 2 lane road.
    I heard and followed the police's instructions, but the reaction was delayed because of traffic congestion to my right(as noted medium traffic level on my ticket), a railroad, parked cars, a "crew working in trees" sign obstructing the turn,and another car making a right turn.
    In other words, it was not safe.
    I have photographs of the location covering all angles, including an aerial view,but i do not have the photograph of the "crew working in trees" sign in its place.
    Upon my right turn, the firetruck proceeded as the police car again instructs me to pull me over to hand me my ticket, "Failure to Yield to Emergency Vehicle."

I contest to this ticket with the argument that i was still observing my own safety as well as the safety of others in the process? In addition, i was following orders, but it was leading me into a more dangerous zone.

More facts and Information:
    My location: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...00849&t=h&z=20
    Westbound on Mission St.(2 lane road with parked cars)
    Turned right into Meridian Ave.now heading north (1 lane road with parked cars and 'crew working in trees' sign at the corner.
    I was located at the intersection ready to make a left turn at the time.
    Fire Truck and Police Car Behind Me.

Other Comments:
    The cop was very friendly when he pulled me over,and gave me his point of view of the situation.
    Instead of giving him the reason for my situation, I asked if i may offer an explanation.
    He said it wouldnt do me good, and i agreed, nodded my my head, and asked how i can pay for the fine and what the options were for handling a ticket. He nicely told me to "read the back of the ticket with all the information."
    He also told me about traffic school.
    Before the farewell, he asked me if i had anymore questions for him ( found this quite odd since my friends tell me they leave right after the ticket is signed.)
    So he went to his car, and left insantly.
    i was left at the location, and re-parked my car to review the ticket.

Default Re: Failure to Yield. California

You're expected to move as far right as you can and STOP until they pass. I can't see how your arguments make any difference here.
    If I understand your pictures, you were in the left lane on Mission proceeding westbound, you should have immediately (as soon as you could do so with traffic in the right lane, moved to the right lane and STOPPED). About the only place I wouldn't have stopped would have been on the tracks. Certainly making right turns while being pursued by three emergency vehicles was illegal, dangerous, and foolish. I used to drive ambulances and fire engines. We want to move left (potentially crossing the center line), we want everybody to move right and stop, not drive along in front of us trying to find some place they think is convenient to get out of our way.

Default Re: Failure to Yield. California

i did move as soon as it was available. i stopped as soon as i got out of the way. the officer said it was that the vehicle stopped and waited why he issued it.

i yielded, there was traffic, they yielded, too, and i got around it.
    i did move as quick as possible, but becase of traffic, the officer saw otherwise.
    stopping anywhere else, especially across the street where there are already yielded cars would increase traffic congestion.

1. Sponsored Links