Default Establishing Paternity to Access Father's Medical History

I am searching for help with a unusual situation in Pennsylvania. I am an adult woman. I am the offspring of K.C. (an affair my mother had with an old boyfriend) while married to my father J.F. J.F. is listed as my father on my birth certificate although a DNA test has proven he is not biologically related to me. K.C. has never acknowledged me as his child. My mother did write to him an inform him he was my biological parent. He chose not to respond. I wrote to him several weeks ago (he lives in the same city). Once again he has not responded. My question is related to health information. Although I could care less about K.C. and meeting him, I think it is incredibly important to get his health history. I have asked him to take a paternity test and release medical records to me. I believe his health history is also my health history (for better or worse). I think that maybe his father and uncle died at a young age due to heart attacks. (although I am not sure of this) I have had some medical problems recently and would like to be able to share with my doctors a complete medical history. Any ideas on how to proceed with legal action against K.C. Can I force a paternity test and release of medical records? I believe I should have the right to confirm he is (unfortunately) my biological father.

Default Re: Establishing Paternity to Access Father's Medical History

There is a significant possibility that you can't require him to take a DNA test, and even if you established paternity that you would not be able to force him to provide any medical information. Consider enlisting the help of a local family lawyer.

Do you know when paternity testing first became commonplace in our court system? Specifically, in Pennsylvania? I think I may have been over 18 at the age when Paternity testing becames a reality.

Paternity testing based upon blood type has been around for a very long time - it just wasn't very accurate. Over time, more specific blood-based tests were developed until DNA testing became the norm. (Technically speaking, blood tests are currently available which look at such factors as blood enzymes, and are probably no less accurate than DNA testing.) So the short answer is paternity testing was available prior to DNA testing, it was just far less adequate than the modern version and not based on DNA.

1. Sponsored Links