Default Accident While Parallel Parking

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: California

Yesterday I was on a 2-lane road. One lane of traffic headed west, one east. I was traveling eastbound and stopped to parallel park. While pulling back at an angle into the parking spot, a car pulled up next to me while my left front bumper was sticking out. My bumper struck the side of his car. Since there was a single lane of traffic in my direction, shouldn't this guy have waited until I was out of the road instead of pulling up next to me? Who is at fault here? Thanks for any advice offered.

Default Re: Accident While Parallel Parking

You backed into him? You're at fault.

I think it would be more accurate to say we struck each other. I was moving backward, he was moving forward in limited space since it was one lane of traffic. My concern is that considering it was one lane of traffic, he should've waited until I cleared the roadway before trying to pass me (this is what I always do on this street, as the lane is pretty tight). It's not as though there were 2 lanes eastbound and he had another entire lane to clear me. He squeezed himself into one lane already partially occupied by my vehicle.

If he was moving in a straight line forward, he could not have hit you. Your backwards movement with your wheels turned caused your car to swing into the side of his car. Yes, he should have not pulled up beside you but once he did, it was your responsibility to not hit him. Sorry but you are at fault.

Well, that just sucks. When I stopped and started pulling back (with my blinker on), there was no one behind me except another car parallel parking 2 spaces behind me. I was looking over my right shoulder to back into the spot, so I couldn't possibly have seen this car pull up beside me to avoid the collision. Jk, I don't quite understand you saying he could not have hit me. He was moving forward in the single lane of traffic which I occupied. He wasn't at a stand still when we collided. As he approached, he saw me backing up, but didn't stop even though I was still in the lane of traffic.

Thanks for the input.

He couldn't hit you with the side of his car unless he was going sideways. You would have to move towards him for there to be contact.

1. Sponsored Links