Default Broken Water Line in Upstairs Condo Unit Flooded My Downstairs Unit

My question involves a condominium located in the State of: NC

Last wednesday during the night sometime my upstairs neighbors hot water heater bladder busted a line which ran for hours. I awoke to the sound of running water in my unit. the upstairs unit is vacant as the owner is trying to sell it. my unit has suffered tremendous damages. sheetrock, ceilings and flooring will need to be replaced in 90% of the unit. I had water pouring out of the AC vents, light fixtures, and fire alarms in just about every room. the upstairs unit's insurance stated they will not pay because the unit owner wasn't negligible because he didn't do anything wrong. the bladder on the hot water heater was installed improperly and eventually fell over breaking the line. I need some advice as to how best handle this. My insurance company is stepping in with my policy but i fear my covered may not be enough. also, the HOA is not stepping over to cover common areas. They stated that they would have dried my unit out. there is no possible way that they could have dried out the gallons of water that were trapped between my celling and the upstairs floors. i was wondering do i have any legal recourse to engage either the upstairs units insurance of the HOA's. According to the upstairs units insurance he has to be negligent. Isn't leaving your electricity and water on when not living in a home negligent?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Broken Water Line in Upstairs Condo Unit Flooded My Downstairs Unit

No, having water and electricity on in your apartment is not "negligence". Do you call the water company and electric company to shut off your utilities every time you go to work or take a vacation?

If you believe you can prove negligence in court, you can try suing your neighbor. Their insurance company will defend them.

You haven't given us any information about the hot water heater, how old it was, or how it came to have an improperly installed bladder; perhaps you have a cause of action against whomever was responsible for that error, depending upon the full facts and applicable statute of limitations.

1. Sponsored Links