Hybrid View

Default How to Figure Out Who Sponsored a Law

My question involves a security deposit issue in the State of: Tennessee

All legislation has an author or a sponsor but I can't find out who did the

TENNESSEE CODE ANNOTATED
    TITLE 66 PROPERTY
    CHAPTER 28 UNIFORM RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD AND TENANT ACT

Could this be the work of one or a group effort of all elected officials at the Capitol?

How would I find out which elected official to write to in order to suggest changes to this set of laws?

It's a deposit issue that I think needs changed so I posted it in this section.

Default Re: Source of the Law

Anytime you read the word UNIFORM in a law, it is probably a codification, partial or full enactment, of a law passed by the Commissioners on Uniform State Laws.

I checked thier web site, and it is.

To find out who introduced it, reworded or not, write the Clerks of each chamber.

However, if you are looking to rework it, you can also write your District Represenative and or Senator.

Quote Quoting BOR
    View Post
    Anytime you read the word UNIFORM in a law, it is probably a codification, partial or full enactment, of a law passed by the Commissioners on Uniform State Laws.

To find out who introduced it, reworded or not, write the Clerks of each chamber.

However, if you are looking to rework it, you can also write your District Represenative and or Senator.
    I'll go with the Senator since there are 2 that represent this district. This may sound confusing but, since I only see that a few words needed to be added in order to provide a means to prove that an item has been obeyed and also make it possible to provide a means of subsequent enforcement of the item if needed. Currently there is no way to prove that the item that I am interested in has been obeyed and no way to prove that it was disobeyed in the event that it was disobeyed.

Quote Quoting BOR
    View Post

Uniform? You mean something, a law that is in effect in all states across the board?

Quote Quoting mysticide
    View Post

Uniform? You mean something, a law that is in effect in all states across the board?

Not necessarily. The Uniform Commissioners is a body who passes Acts and submits them to state Legislatures. They have NO legal obligation to adopt the acts, either in part or whole.

As the Federal Constitution provides uniformity to all 50 states as far as what is prohibited, this is what the UC's attempt to do, but it can be positive or negative in enactment.

You can review thier ACTS from the link below; select an (act/title).

http://www.nccusl.org/nccusl/Desktop...dex=2&tabid=60

It also lists on another page from the link the States that have adopted what the UC's have passed.

One of the more famous ones most have heard of is the Uniform Commercial Code.

Quote Quoting BOR
    View Post
    Not necessarily. The Uniform Commissioners is a body who passes Acts and submits them to state Legislatures. They have NO legal obligation to adopt the acts, either in part or whole.

As the Federal Constitution provides uniformity to all 50 states as far as what is prohibited, this is what the UC's attempt to do, but it can be positive or negative in enactment.

You can review thier ACTS from the link below; select an (act/title).

http://www.nccusl.org/nccusl/Desktop...dex=2&tabid=60

It also lists on another page from the link the States that have adopted what the UC's have passed.

One of the more famous ones most have heard of is the Uniform Commercial Code.
    Since only that group of people can modify that uniform code it won't do any good to write my concerns to a Senator since he isn't the one who produces this uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act right?

I need to take my concerns to the The National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws?

Unless one of the two Senators that represent my district are a sitting member of that they cant change the uniform law can they?

a state can alter or modify a uniform code as they want. Basically, the uniform code process save the actual legislators from writing proposed laws. As BOR stated, they can accept them in part or in whole, or not at all. They can alter and modify them as they desire. They can alter their own statutes at any time regardless what the Uniform Commissioners do.

If you want the law in your state changed, then you need to address your state's legislators. Even if the Uniform Commissioners modified their writing, it would not alter the individual states laws unless the specific state amended their statutes to accept the modification. It is not automatic.

Default Re: How to Figure Out Who Sponsored a Law

Quote Quoting mysticide
    View Post
    My question involves a security deposit issue in the State of: Tennessee

How would I find out which elected official to write to in order to suggest changes to this set of laws?
    You would write to YOUR elected officials..I doubt any other would help you. If they don't want to do anything, then run against them or vote against them if its that big an issue.

I have contacted by state rep. last year for two changes to state law. One of them is actually going to be going in front of a committee and I'll be giving "testimony" to the committee to sway them to support the new law. The other item, my local reps did not want to change..so I voted against them in the election (they both still won).

1. Sponsored Links