Default Does a Client Have to Pay to Cancel a Contingent Fee Agreement

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: CA

Is it proper to have to pay all costs incurred by the law firm in the event I cancel the contract? This would represent the attorney costs plus costs expeded to review records prior to my cancellation. This could be shortly after my initial meeting with the attorney? 45 % typical for an attorney fee?

Default Re: Does a Client Have to Pay to Cancel a Contingent Fee Agreement

Sure it's proper to reimburse the lawyer any monies that he puts out of his pocket towards your case. Why would you think otherwise?
    There are various expenses involved, including court filing fees, expert witnesses, medical records, depositions, and any other costs that the lawyer pays out of his pocket to build and win your case.
    The percentage that a lawyer usually takes is 33%, some take 40% and very few take 45%. Usually when 45% is taken a case is a trial case.

Read you contract. I have had attnys not put into the contract for copy costs, mail costs, deposition costs etc... then I don't pay those. When included in the contract, I pay. If the contract does not have any stipulation regarding his bills after you fired him then its going to be up to a judge to decide what's proper. What's he asking for & did you fire him or case was dismissed?

I understand that. In the past I've never been asked to sign an agreement. Following an initial phone consult an attorney may schedule a meeting with a doc or pay to have medical records reviewed to see if the case has merit. (the client is not billed for this)

Is it proper for an attorney to present a contingent fee agreement at an initial consult with a stipulation that if the contact is cancelled all costs are billed to the client ie medical review & probably the initial consult. Most firms don't charge to explore if your case has merit.

1. Sponsored Links